Unable to connect to internet.

Meshuga 18:53 03 Aug 04

I am suddenly finding impossible to connect to the internet on my other PC. I can send and receive email on OE. I have no problem with this PC and both run XP Home on BB and nothing has been altered on the other pc. Only one of the pcs is connected at any one time. When I try to connect to the web the progress bar at the bottom moves very slowly and a message appears saying page not available. This happens whether it be IE or hotmail or PCA. Any advice please. Meshuga.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 03 Aug 04

type sfc /scannow in run box
will ask for windows disk as scans and replaces missing / corrupt IE files

Meshuga 19:11 03 Aug 04

Hi There, do you mean it will ask me for the disc to put it in pc?. If so I`ll have to find it. Regards,Meshuga.

Meshuga 19:33 03 Aug 04

Have typed sfc/scannow in run box as you suggested but get a message saying " windows can`t find it".Meshuga.

VoG II 19:39 03 Aug 04

sfc /scannow

note the space before /

This is Windows XP or 2000 is it?

If not, just type

sfc

Meshuga 20:07 03 Aug 04

Have done as you said and got a box saying insert yourxp professional servicepack 1 cd.I have xp home not prof which was preinstalled when bought. I do have the oem disc which was supplied then. Do i use that ,or what. Regards, Meshuga.

VoG II 21:06 03 Aug 04

This seems to be a bit of a Windows bug apparently although I've never had this happen myself. You insert your OEM disk and click OK. You may keep getting the same mesage but keep (on and on) clicking OK and eventually it should "take".

If it doesn't, try these alternative fixes for IE click here

Meshuga 22:47 03 Aug 04

Looks like the fix i need is the last on the list for XP. As an afterthougt, do you think system restore would work in this case.? Anyway, will try tomorrow as I`m too tired tonight and would probably make things worse.Thanks for your help,both now and in the past. Meshuga.

VoG II 22:55 03 Aug 04

System Restore is worth a go - back to when you are sure it was working, obviously.

It is my pleasure to help out and try not to be rude, unlike some recent unwanted "visitors".

Good luck!

VoG II 23:02 03 Aug 04

It is my pleasure to help out and for me to try not to be rude, unlike some recent unwanted "visitors".

Meshuga 05:15 04 Aug 04

So you have noticed the recent trend towards rudeness and bad language by one or two individuals, also individuals who come in on posts with their own problems and expect answers instead of making a new post. I have tried the first of the repairs for IE6 but it gives you the option of 4 items , the first of which is " install win xp" Should this be the one I use, the others don`t appear relevant. Also, can this be done " over the top" of existing one. Am going to try the second one later and will come back, assuming I dont wreck the pc in the process. I have tried sys restore but that hasn`t worked. Regards, Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…