Unable to connect to certain websites

Tony7 17:55 01 Aug 10

Have spent the day looking at problems like this but mine seems rather different. I am able to get onto nearly all websites but not e-bay or B&Q or Wicks. there may be others but most are ok. Any suggestions? I've F-secure anti virus, I've run Ccleaner and switched off Ms firewall. I use firefox.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

northumbria61 18:14 01 Aug 10

I would clear out any cookies for the problem sites and then type the individual addresses into your web browser address bar.

You could also then "allow" these web sites - ie. in Firefox it would be via - Tools - Options - Accept Cookies from Sites EXCEPTIONS box - type in address and ALLOW. Similar for I.E.

Tony7 20:08 02 Aug 10

Thanks for the suggestions. Spent hours locating the "tools" toolbar. but all trid but no success. Any more help?

northumbria61 21:44 02 Aug 10

"Spent hours locating the "tools" toolbar" - well you will know where it is next time you need it - top left of your screen - in this order - File - Edit - View - History - Bookmarks - TOOLS !!

Try checking your settings in Firefox - click here

and clearing out your CACHE under the NETWORK tab - Advanced - Clear Now.

northumbria61 21:47 02 Aug 10

Try this link for Ebay - click here

northumbria61 21:50 02 Aug 10

B & Q - click here

Tony7 08:42 03 Aug 10

Sorry about the delay. I have more time today. Tried all suggestions but no result. Can access e-bay but not able to sign in.Weird!

northumbria61 08:56 03 Aug 10

You can contact Ebay about your problem with signing in if you have access to another computer
and you get the message (or similar) The following advice is from Ebay HELP screen.

Your sign in information is not valid. Please try again.

Do the following: Check that the Autocomplete feature in your browser is not entering the wrong User ID or password.

Make sure your Caps Lock key is off.

Double-check your User ID and password. If necessary, get your User ID or ask eBay to send you a new password by email.

Verify that there are no spaces between the characters of your User ID and password.

Tony7 09:04 03 Aug 10

Unable to access sign in page or register page. Still cant get to B&Q.
Same thing on my laptop.
Thanks for help.

northumbria61 10:48 03 Aug 10

Bit more info here for you Tony - click here

Also -Have you tried in SAFEMODE to see if these sites are still a problem ? (choose safemode with networking) If they work in safemode it may be a problem with your "add-ons"

kristain 11:54 03 Aug 10

It might be the problem with hosts file.

In explorer, go to tools => folder options => view. Uncheck "hide operating system protected files" and "hide extensions for known file types" and check "show hidden files and folder".

Now navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and locate the file named hosts and open this file in notepad. Ignore the lines starting with # but check that there are no other lines than 127.0.0.1 localhost at the bottom. Report if you see other such lines.

If still facing the problem contact your service provider or click here for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5