Unable to complete installation of windows

maiden 17:25 04 Jul 12

I have Acer Aspire 5680 laptop that had Vista Home premium running until I think I updated a driver that did not suite the machine. I bought the machine in Singapore in 1997 and brought it back to Uk and used it until it went on blink.

I bought Windows 7 and that also will not complete installation - failing in same spot. I then downloaded Windows 8 preview and again that failed at same place but this time it indicated that failed at 92% driver installation. Now I cannot update the drivers until I have Windows running. I have other test discs that enable me to run Windows XP in reduced apps and that runs Ok. I have disc that runs Linux and that runs Ok. I have checked out the HDD and wifi network and they function ok. Can anyone help please. I think it may be the sound Realtech driver but am not sure and cannot disconnect the sound card.

spuds 17:52 04 Jul 12

Have you tried reformatting the hard-drive, using the installation instructions?.

maiden 12:04 05 Jul 12

Hi and thanks for taking the trouble to read my plea. Yes I have reformatted the HDD several times. I have even gone to the trouble of partitioning the main C: drive into two separate partitions just in case there was a problem. Still no joy. I have of course made each partition active when attempting to install. Fails at same point every time. I have checked logs and see that installed OK, all files there BUT ...

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This Uplifting Animation Celebrates Team GB’s Road to Rio

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features, including new features…