//some 3rd party need geo

unable to change windows xp password

richard 11:59 18 Sep 03

I am having a problem with Task Scheduler - it doesn't work. When I try to add a task, it wants my password. The problem is that, as far as I know, I don't have a password to (presumably) log on to Windows.

Thinking this coould be the problem, I looked at the users - I am down as the administrator so I thought I would set a password - the problem now is that I am told I cannot change the password.

OK, I thought, go back a step - now I am told I can delete the password - apparently do so, but told I cannot change it! I am caught in a loop - is there a way out

thanks

AndySD 12:11 18 Sep 03

XP pro or Home?

also is the account you are using the Administrator Account or is it your name with Admin Privalages?

richard 12:51 18 Sep 03

XP home. I am down as the computer administrator and can: change, create and delete accounts; make system-wide changes; install programs and access all files

AndySD 14:26 18 Sep 03

Try booting ito Safe Mode (F8 whilst booting) and set the password there.

richard 18:35 18 Sep 03

I went into safe mode - password box empty - put in password - "Windows cannot accept password" - go back a step, asked if I want to remove password - seems to accept password I put in - tried again but the same thing happened.

I don't really want to mess with the passwords - the real problem is that the task scheduler doesn't work!

any other ideas?

AndySD 18:42 18 Sep 03

Ok try creating a new user account in XP and give this account Admin rights and a password . Reboot and log into this account.

spikeychris 18:46 18 Sep 03

click here However..

A scheduled task can be run without passwords:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 67)
click here

Courtesy of the man.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…