Unable to change resolution on my display

taff jones 20:54 08 May 06

I am running Win 2000 Pro (Service Pack 3) on a 400MHz processor. I have a Matrox G400 graphics card which is using a standard Windows driver. Every time I try to change the resolution of my CRT monitor the display is all garbled. A quick "Ferranti Reset" and booting up the system in VGA Mode allowed me to see the graphics again so I went to the Matrox website and downloded their updated driver. When I installed this I got as far as the "F8" on the boot-up screen and it then went blank - no graphics at all. I have gone back to a Windows driver but I still can't change the resolution on it. Any ideas, please??

Terry Brown 21:23 08 May 06

The only way I can see see is to go the the device manager (control panel ,system ,hardware,device manager), remove the graphic settings (Display adapters, then refresh and let the windows system reload, the base drivers., then put in your graphics CD, and update.
Terry

Totally-braindead 22:10 08 May 06

Is this the driver you tried? click here this is the latest Microsoft certified driver, there may be a newer one but not a cerified one. Follow the instructions and try it.
If you can't change the resolution its probably because you have used a windows generic driver rather than the proper driver for the graphics card, the generic drivers are a "fall back" driver if you know what I mean and as such will not display what you graphics card is capable of, it will only allow you to set up settings it considers safe for a number of cards.
The only other possabilty I think is the monitor driver. If you are using the wrong monitor driver you can alter the settings on the graphics card but if the monitor believes it can't display them, because of the driver you are using you may lose the picture. So I would also check that.

taff jones 22:22 08 May 06

Totally-braindead,
The link that you gave me is the driver that i downloaded from the Matrox website but that didn't work. I also used the "Upgrade" device on the monitor as well but no joy there. I'll try to remove both and re-install them again and see what happens

taff jones 22:33 08 May 06

I removed the drivers and then re-installed tem and it works fine now!! bl&&^y computers!!
Many thanks for the advice.

Totally-braindead 22:37 08 May 06

Computers, don't you just love em?

Glad its fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…