Unable to change programme which opens file

alfredgerald 11:27 AM 15 Sep 12
Answered

Running Microsoft XP with 4 users on PC. Having trouble changing the programme which opens a file. (e.g. Notepad to Word). 3 of the users work fine. Have been into Control Panel/Folder options/File type but the option to change how all the files are opened is greyed out. Any thoughts please.

Nontek 11:52 AM 15 Sep 12

If you right-click on the file, do you not get the option to Open with ? so that you can then choose which program to open it.

recap 11:53 AM 15 Sep 12

alfredgerald, I think you will need admin rights to change the progam.

alfredgerald 12:08 PM 15 Sep 12

I have admin rights. The files that I am trying to open have been received in an e-mail. They have the .docx extension. No option to Open With on right mouse button. The file try’s to open in Notepad. When I go to File type to change it all the file types are greyed out. Only in this user, other 3 users OK.

Nontek 12:15 PM 15 Sep 12
Answer

Try doing a Save as then you should be able to change the prefix to .doc or similar.

alfredgerald 12:55 PM 15 Sep 12

Thanks Nontek. It worked. But I still cant change File type in the Control Panel. Still greyed out. Any other thoughts

Nontek 13:05 PM 15 Sep 12

Great, glad it worked - unless you intend to make many prefix changes, I would not bother about the Ctrl Panel.

Though I suppose you could try something like CHECKDISK

alfredgerald 13:09 PM 15 Sep 12

OK Nontek. I think I will continue this thread as I am interested as to why it works on three users but not the forth. Anybody else got an idea?

acfc 16:23 PM 15 Sep 12

As you probably know .docx is word 2007 or later format so you need a compatibility pack installed if you have an older version. As you were able to select open with on 3 users it is possible that this was installed for each user instead of for all users?

Open with being greyed it usually means windows cannot select a suitable program to use.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone