Unable to change homepage in IE6

NinkyRudes 10:21 18 Jun 03

I recently added a new dial-up connection to my PC, since my original freeserve connection occasionally gives me problems. I signed up with 100-mph.com - now I have two problems.

Firstly, I can no longer access my internet options by simply clicking on Tools\Internet Options in IE6, now having to go through the control panel. If I try the former, I get a message that the operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on my computer, telling me to contact my administrator. Since I am a home user and the program was fine before I am at a loss.

Secondly, and more irritatingly, when I do go through control panel to my Internet Options, I am now unable to change my homepage from click here, it is just greyed out. Any suggestions from you Internet wizards out there would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rayuk 10:34 18 Jun 03

Try Microsoft Knowledge base article 320159

VoG® 10:34 18 Jun 03
  A Cat Called George 10:34 18 Jun 03

Which of the services 100-mph advertise on thier site are you using? And did you download the installer or enter the settings manually?

fitshase 10:35 18 Jun 03

I would probably re-install Internet Explorer as it seems that 100mph have done something to your settings.

Did you download anything from them?

If you go onto their website and look for your operating system, there are instructions on how to set it up on your system.

Regards

Fitshase

p.s., do these problems occur only when online? If so, try connecting through Freeserve and see if it does the same thing.

NinkyRudes 10:41 18 Jun 03

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I'll look into them and get back if I can do something about it.
P.S. I have not downloaded anything from 100-mph knowingly (e.g. no dialler), and the symptoms persist when I connect through Freeserve.

NinkyRudes 12:34 18 Jun 03

Thanks for that. All solved based on Microsoft?s support article. It seems that some program had added a couple of registry strings that prevented access to the options panel, and prevented adjustment of the homepage. I just had to delete both entries and it was sorted. I rebooted to check that it wouldn?t revert, and it didn?t.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…