Unable to browse internet

dazadude 19:31 08 Jun 04

Hi everyone...

My normal computer has a problem!

I am unable to browse any websites from internet explorer. I get the 'page cannot be found' error message for whatever site I try to go to. I can access the rest of my home network and I can ping my router successfuly.

I have recently had some virus and spyware activity on the computer which I cleaned with PC Cillin, Ad-Aware and HijackThis.

Just before the current problem I had a blank icon (grey space) in the task bar system tray. When I hovered the mouse over it a box said something like 'asterix system tray icon...right click me'. Right clicking did nothing. I got rid of this by removing what looked like dodgy registry settings in HijackThis. So I don't know if I deleted anything important to internet explorer in the registry or if this is coincidence. Unfortunately I did not take notes during the process.

Most things like this turn up a search on google but this one has me miffed.

I have uninstalled internet explorer (v6) and reinstalled from the disk (v5) and it still doesn't work. Next step, failing a solution will be to format and reinstall :(

Is anybody able to offer some info? Or possibly point me to a registry fixer?

Many Thanks.

johnnyrocker 19:34 08 Jun 04

would the free registry cleaner advertised at the bottom of the page be of any use?

johnny.

dazadude 19:39 08 Jun 04

It certainly would mate! Well pointed out, I missed that one.

Thanks.

dazadude 21:02 08 Jun 04

Problem solved!

Windows 'Help and Support' actually came in useful...I searched for 'registry' and one of the first results is about Dr Watson (though not mentioning it to cause my symptoms). So I gave it a shot and typed 'drwtsn32 -i' at the command prompt to reinstall/load Dr Watson, and the problem is gone.

I don't know what that has to do with browsing but it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…