Unable to browes, or send/ rec emails

martin p 19:56 08 Dec 08

Hi All.

My sisters problem is, can use Skype, but when in IE says cannot connect to internet, also cant send or receive emails, Ethernet cable all OK.as is modem, as my laptop will connect to her network with no problems.
No Zone Alarm on this as i see can cause prob`s
Regards MP

recap 19:16 09 Dec 08

Check the firewall is allowing IE and the mail client.

martin p 19:25 09 Dec 08

Thanks have tried that, also been onto o2 helpline, to no avail, only thing not tried was to unistall her antivirus for a while ?
Regards MP

birdface 13:20 11 Dec 08

If using IE7 you could try Tools Internet options and press reset.This will reset IE7 to its original state.You will loose your add-ons but just a matter of going into tools.Manage add-ons to start them again.

birdface 15:17 11 Dec 08

Should have said Tools.Internet Options.Advanced and then press reset.Or Try .File.And make sure work offline is not ticked.

martin p 23:04 11 Dec 08

Thank you buteman.

Tried as you printed, but still nothing, Skype works but nothing else.!

mr blue vein 23:50 11 Dec 08

Martin P

I had a similar problem & it was an anti virus issue. Is this a recent problem ie could you use IE & send/receive emails before ? If so what anti virus are you using, did it update recently ?

martin p 08:11 12 Dec 08

Yes, the antivirus, is from "Eset" was on the PC at manufacture, new subscripion paid over 4 weeks ago, and was working then ( no disc supplied ),

The only thing that has been done is PC taken into garden and cleaned out with Maplin compressed air,and a Maxtor 500gb external hardrive fitted, it was after these last 2 events that the problem started,have since unistalled Maxtor software, but no change.
Thank you for your help in this
Regards MP

birdface 11:33 18 Dec 08

Before you had esset what anti virus were you using.If Norton did you use the Norton removal tool.What about a system restore to a date before you had the problems.

martin p 18:57 18 Dec 08

Hi buteman.

Yes it was Norton, not sure how it was removed.

Tried system restore but at the time would only go back to 1st November this year ?

MP

birdface 00:27 19 Dec 08

Ask you sister to go to start.search.And type in Norton and see if any Norton programs are still on her computer.If so use the Norton removal tool to remove them.click here see if that makes any difference.Or Control panel.Internet Options.Programs and make sure I/Explorer is the default web browser.Or right click Local Area Connection and press repair see if it comes up with any problems.Can she use another browser temporary maybe Firefox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…