Unable to Boot into XP Pro

Dumfy 13:32 10 May 04

Hi All,

I'm trying to help my sister-in-law with a boot issue on her PC. I'm working "blind" as she lives nowhere near and trying to do my "tech-Support" bit over the phone.

It has XP Pro on it and it won't boot. Can't even get into Safe Mode or boot to last known good configuration. The Windows XP logo comes up and the blue squares that run during boot to show it's doing something, are running. It then just hangs and she has to try and re-boot again.

A few days ago, she loaded AOL 9.0 and the system has been running fine, but with Internet problems. She hasn't loaded/unloaded anything else. I suggested that she boots up with the XP disc in so that the recovery console may be used...but she can't find the XP disc at the moment.

I managed to get her to go into the bios and the hdd is being detected, but not even being able to get into Safe Mode to try a system restore has me stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dumfy

Graham ® 14:02 10 May 04

Not quite the same symptoms, but will give some idea of what the problem may be:

click here

Dumfy 13:25 24 May 04

Thanks Graham, but still no luck.

My sister-in-law has been out of the country, so we tried again yesterday...still trying to fix it over the phone.

The original symptoms persist and it just won't boot into XP. As it tries to boot, in that the Windows XP Pro logo comes up and the blue squares scan, it goes no further. I assume that the boot.ini file and MBR are OK as it gets this far. Am I correct?

Still can't boot to last known good configuration and even into safe mode. Is there a way around this without have to reformat? I know this would be the easiest way, but guess who hasn't backed up her data? And that was the reason for me fitting a cd writer to the machine last time I was home. Another lesson learned maybe?

Thanks

Dumfy

AndySD 13:46 24 May 04

If she has the xp cd and not a restore cd then ..

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies, but leave all the rest intact.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…