Unable to Boot System after using Reg Mechanic

Tugum 23:51 11 Feb 08

When I ran a trial version (V7) of Registry Mechanic (pctools.com) for the first time it found over 100 registry errors. The process corrected 3 of them but advised that I had to register in order to correct the rest, which I declined. The 2nd process advised the amount of space that could be saved in the Registry & that I needed to register to do so. At this point my system froze & I have been unable to boot the system.

I have tried to boot using the 3 Safe Mode Options, but the process freezes after displaying a list of drivers & the Last Known Good Configuration gets as far as displaying the XP Logo (XP Home SP2) & flashing tram Line before the screen goes black.

I have tried to boot from the original CD using the Repair Option, where, after trial & error I entered 1 for the installation & ‘Return’ for the password to get to the C prompt. Although I was able to display the various commands & their help, I’ve no idea as to which command I need to try & solve the problem.

If I reinstall XP without reformatting my C drive (2 partitions) will my data & other apps on the drive & a separate HD remain in tact?

I have Firewall, Anti Virus & Spy Ware installed. The only good news is that my data, photos etc are backed up & one of my sons has lent me a laptop.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

try emailing them first off
click here

rdave13 00:12 12 Feb 08

For xp repair- click here

Tugum 14:15 13 Feb 08

Sorry I should have said that I has alredy emailed PCTools but as yet have not had a reply.

rdave13 - Thanks for the link. Unfortunately when I get to the XP Set Up Page, which shows the correct partition, pressing R has no effect. It will only accept the keys displated (Enter - Install, D - Delete Partition & F3 - Quit).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 13 Feb 08

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

Quiet Life 17:14 13 Feb 08

Regret cannot offer any assistance.I will be surprised if you get a reply from PC Tools as I never did.
However I learned two things.
1 If it is not broke do not fix it.
2 Free downloads are not free programs.

I also feel if you do not buy then some from of nasties mess up your system.
I did a clean reinstall and when everything working OK cloned C drive to a new partition on the second drive using XXclone which is a good free program that works. You can change the boot drive in the bios and test it to see everything is OK. Have had to clone it back twice through having acquired some malware and it has saved a lot of effort.

Tugum 18:44 13 Feb 08

Hi Fruitbat - I got as far as entering 'CD "system volume information\_resto~1' & got the message that access was denied.

Hi Quiet Life - I only downloaded it because it was recomended in PC Advisor Helproom to a reader.

Is it a viable option to install XP on seperate drive & boot from there.

All of the web pages that I have looked at state the same process that rdave13 pointed me to, but I think that this is only applicable to XP Pro.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 13 Feb 08

If I reinstall XP without reformatting my C drive (2 partitions) will my data & other apps on the drive & a separate HD remain in tact?

The data on the seperate drive will not be touched you may have to reinstall the apps to get them registered in XP.

"System Volume Information access denied" question, and also system restore

Suppose you have named your user account "Bob"

CD C:\

enter the following command while having sufficient permissions (being the only user of a machine or logging in as administrator should be sufficient)

cacls "System Volume Information" /E /P Bob:F

That should all be on one line, BTW Then press Enter.

Now Bob can access all of that stuff!

to change it back the way it was before, enter the following on a line by itself, and press Enter

cacls "System Volume Information" /E /R Bob

Be really careful to include the /E ESPECIALLY, as if you don't, you might just end up with a file for which nothing has permissions to access (and that is REALLY bad considering this isn't just any file but is a very important system directory with backup volume information inside!)

Tugum 20:29 13 Feb 08

Although I'm possitive that I am using the correct name for my account (Only User) & have tried other possibilities & upper/lower case, I keep getting 'The parameter is not valid' which I assume is the name of the account.

Tugum 23:22 17 Feb 08

Resolved by doing an XP & Office reinstallation on a different drive & was able to access docs & photos without reinstalling from back ups.
I was surprised that I did not have to reinstall all of my other applications e.g. AVG, I just copied the short cuts to my new desk top.
The biggest surprise was getting 2 emails from PC Tools; the first to restore from last good configuration & then to contact MS for advice!!
Many thanks to everyone for their help & advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5