unable to boot normally

robert01 14:27 PM 28 May 11

A few days ago a game crashed to desktop with a message that the graphics driver had recovered from an error. Since then when I startup there is a pattern of dots behind the opening bios text and the microsoft loading bar, it then goes to a completely black screen with dots in regular rows from where I can go no futher so have to reset.

I am able to get to safe mode (where the dots vanish) so I loaded a restore point - no change, then I updated the graphics driver but the problem remains. I also put in the windows disc to attempt a repair but was told nothing was needed to be done.

I have no other graphics card to check, perhaps it is a startup issue ?

Windows Vista Home Premium, AVG, NVidia GeForce 8800GTX.

gengiscant 15:41 PM 28 May 11

Sounds as though your graphics card has a problem other than a driver issue.

woodchip 15:49 PM 28 May 11

You have not gone far back enough using System Restore, try a Older Date

robert01 19:11 PM 28 May 11

Ok - I tried a much earlier restore point and that didn't work.

Run AVG - nothing found.

As I said this pattern of dots appears STRAIGHT AWAY as the bios is showing text before the PC starts to load windows, if it was a code issue then the problem would occur further on in the process wouldn't it ?

Before I spend money on a new card, what else can I do to make sure that it isn't a code or startup issue ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 PM 28 May 11

Before I spend money on a new card, what else can I do to make sure that it isn't a code or startup issue ?

If its happening on BIOS drivers will not be loaded so then its either the graphics card - cable - or monitor faulty

remove / refit card to remake connections - can work very slightly loose with thermal expansion

Check / change monitor cable

try another monitor or flat screen TV with PC input.

If none of the above make a difference then try another card.

Strawballs 22:33 PM 28 May 11

Does the board have onboard graphics? If so try taking out the card and plugging the monitor into the board and then boot.

woodchip 22:45 PM 28 May 11

As above in BIOS its the Graphics that's blown. You need a new card

robert01 14:04 PM 29 May 11

Tried different monitor & cable, removed card and slotted it back in again - no change. So, new graphics card it is then. Thanks everyone for your help, will update when I've put a new card in.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites