Unable to boot up from CD.

wacmac 16:26 17 Aug 09

I was attempting to install Win XP instead of Vista on my laptop and,due to inexperience,seem to have removed all Partitions etc.and now have an unusable hard drive.Can anyone help me with this.I have only the original Asus set-up disc for Vista Premium which came with the laptop,and will not boot,not an original M.Soft disc. I have tried to find a boot disc programme without success and am now at a loss as to what I can do.Thanks for any help forthcoming.

Diemmess 16:46 17 Aug 09

If the computor is not too old and the seal unbroken, the retailer might take pity on you and return it to the software state you had when bought it.
Even if he is prepared to do this there will almost certainly be a charge.

Otherwise you will have to buy a Vista installation disk, or persist with XP assuming you already have a valid disk for XP.

The Asus CD will have the specific drivers (Vista) for your computer but as a restoration CD it needs the fundamental installation of the OS "to get its teeth into."

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 17 Aug 09

XP cannot see the bootloader on a drive that has vista installed. Do you want to retore the laptop to VISTA or wipe and install XP.

To restore VISTA
1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

wacmac 19:59 17 Aug 09

Thanks Diemmess/Fruit bat,unfortunately I am unable to get anything to work.The XP disc does not boot and all I get is a message saying "Error loading operating system".Pressing "F8"gives no response at all.Any other help welcomed if possible,thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 17 Aug 09

Have you set the BIOS to Boot from CD as first boot option?

wacmac 13:54 18 Aug 09

Thanks again Fruit Bat.I already have the Bios set to boot from CD OK.but no joy there.Will try to contact Asus if possible to maybe get their help.Thanks again,Wacmac.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5