Unable to associate a file type

Ptolemy 20:23 26 Sep 06

When I right click on an mp3 I used to have Audacity listed in the "Open with..." options.

A while ago a uninstalled/reinstalled Audacity and since then it has vanished from the options and although I browse and select it Audacity is never added to the list.

I've also tried to to set all mp3s to open with Audacity, both via the files properties and via the File Types association. On all occasions I browse to Audacity.exe and select it but my PC behaves as if I haven't done anting and the normal list of applications remains unchanged.

I can open mp3s from inside Audacity once it's open without any problem, but I can't add it to the default list.

I've tried removing Audacity and all files relating to it and reinstalling without sauces.

Can anyone explain what's going on and how I can rectify it.

STREETWORK 20:49 26 Sep 06
  Ptolemy 21:49 26 Sep 06

Streetwork - thanks - the link didn't contain the exact solution, but managed to figure one out from the info supplied.

For anyone's reference;

REGEDIT

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
scroll down to "Applications" and find the application in question.
There will be a sub-key called "shell" that should have two sub-keys of its own: "open" and "play" and both of these should have sub-keys called "command" - if these are missing create them, then modify the data in the "command" key to direct it to the the application with the address in " and suffixed by %1" - so Audacity is shown as "C:\Program Files\Audacity\audacity.exe" "%1" - that's it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced