Unable to access www.

bodybox 12:42 08 Sep 05

I'm currently with BlueYonder broadband (512) and I am unable to connect to the internet. When I connect my friends laptop, he can connect instantly. Unfortunately, whilst trying to install firewalls and antispy/ad ware, I think I may have had an unneccessary play with the guts of the laptop. I'm completely bereft of any knowledge of this kind of thing and was wondering where would be a good place to start in order to rectify this problem. I'm running XP home and connecting with EtherNet (not too sure if this would help). I was able to access the www prior to having a play with add/remove programs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

dan11 12:53 08 Sep 05

Probably the first and easiest thing to do, is a system restore.

Start > all programmes > accessories > system tools > system restore. Pick a date when you know things worked well.

When it has rebooted, try the net again.

Good luck.

bodybox 13:48 08 Sep 05

....Thanks. I think an added problem will be that I removed programs in add/remove programmes. Will these also be restored? I am a bit of a balls-up when it comes to things like this. I'll go home tonight and try what you've suggested and if this fails, I will post again tomorrow. Thank you very much for your swift response.

VoG II 17:37 08 Sep 05

If System Restore doesn't work try this click here

dan11 20:15 08 Sep 05

" I am a bit of a balls-up when it comes to things like this."

Don't worry, we all are.:-)

If system restore has done no good, try VoG™ winsock fix.

Other things to try are

1)Insert the windows disk into the cd rom drive. Type "sfc /scannow" into the run box, with out the quotes. See if you have any missing windows files.

It may be also worth looking at the internet settings.

2) control panel > network connections and open. Is your local area connection there? If it is, is it enabled?

3) if it is there and it is enabled, right click it and select properties. Under general, scroll down to internet protocol TCP/IP. Highlight this and then pick properties. Has " obtain an IP address automatically and DNS server automatically" Got a dot in both? it should have.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…