//some 3rd party need geo

Unable to access windows update

dgreg63 00:51 01 Sep 03

I am using win 2k and for the last week and a half i have been unable to access windows update website or any microsoft websites except msn. I have been told this could be due to either my network settings not being correct or I have one of the recent viruses that have been going around but my Mcfee anti-virus has always been up to date and have been lucky that i have never had any virus ever detected. When i click on windows update i just get a could not find webpage, i have tried using Opera 7 and Netscape but still get could not find website.

Giggle n' Bits 00:56 01 Sep 03

Internet Explorer.

If the page doesn't show, click on Go at the top or refresh the page. (Make sure Work of line is not ticked).

It may take a min to activate once settled before it can attempt to scan.

dgreg63 01:03 01 Sep 03

Work off line is not checked and have tried to refresh page and clicked on go, i still keep getting the following message

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

hugh-265156 01:03 01 Sep 03

does this link work click here

in internet explorer try clicking tools/internet options/security and lowering the settings to medium defaults then try again.

hugh-265156 01:08 01 Sep 03

i just set mine to high and tried to access MS update,i got this error:

"Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

Windows Update uses ActiveX Controls and active scripting to display content correctly and to determine which updates apply to your computer.

To view and download updates for your computer, your Internet Explorer security settings must meet the following requirements:

Security must be set to medium or lower
Active scripting must be set to enabled
The download and initialization of ActiveX Controls must be set to enabled
Note These are default settings for Internet Explorer.

To check your Internet Explorer security settings

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab.
Click the Internet icon, and then click Custom Level.
Make sure the following settings are set to Enable or Prompt:
Download signed ActiveX Controls
Run ActiveX Controls and plug-ins
Script ActiveX Controls marked safe for scripting
Active scripting"

Giggle n' Bits 01:10 01 Sep 03

you ISP set home page.

Try and go into Internet Explorer and look in tools-internet options then reset & restore the defualts.

Run the repair for Internet Explorer. Go to remove internet Exploer and this will give the option to repiar.

dgreg63 01:16 01 Sep 03

I have checked and all set to default level, i have even tried putting security to lowest setting possible and clicking on the link but i am still getting the same error message.

dgreg63 01:19 01 Sep 03

this damned computer will be the death of me, im sure i never had this many grey hairs before i got a computer.

hugh-265156 01:21 01 Sep 03

i doubt it but it could be spyware, download click here and click here update both and run them.remove all that they find.

dgreg63 10:29 02 Sep 03

I have run both adaware and spybot repaired IE 6 and i still cannot use windows update, short of reformatting with win 2k pro (which i am not sure how to do?) i am now at a loss as to what to try next.

dgreg63 23:22 02 Sep 03

I would like to thank everyone who tried to help but it looks like its going to be a reformat, i have tried all the links suggested but to no avail. Many many thanks again but it looks like a nice large bottle of southern comfort to while away the time while i reformat and load all the programs back on again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…