Unable to access Windows with new motherboard

Jim Sadler 20:54 07 Nov 03

I hope you can help me with a major problem I have.
My motherboard, an Abit KT7 RAID, failed leaving me with, amongst other things, no graphics display.
The motherboard was over 5 years old and I was unable to purchase another compatable with my Athlon 900mhz Thunderbird processor or PC133 RAM. I thought this an ideal opportunity to upgrade my system and so I purchased an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, an Athlon XP Barton 2500+ processor, 1gb of PC2700 RAM, and a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 128mb graphics card which uses the 1.5 volts supplied by the motherboard and supports AGP x 8.
My operating system is Windows XP Home.
On booting the computer I entered the BIOS and checked all settings were OK including the 'Primary VGA BIOS' in section 2.4.3 of the Asus users manual which I had to change from the default of 'PCI VGA Card' to 'AGP VGA Card'.
On exiting the BIOS I received a lengthy mesage stating that Windows could not start due to a possible change of hardware or software. It gave various options to start including Safe Mode, Normal Start, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. No matter which option I chose it always came back to the original Windows message.
I'm pretty sure the problem lies with my inability, because I had no graphics display, to uninstall the original motherboard Via chipset drivers and the drivers for my original nVidia Ti4200 graphics card. Obviously I cannot install the motherboard and graphic card drivers until I get past the Windows error message and into Windows itself.
The BIOS has detected my hard drive and the two CD-RW drives.
I have tried using an analogue CRT monitor and a Sony TFT DVi monitor but the results are the same, although the TFT monitor on a DVi connection briefly flashes up the standard Windows XP blue error screen, although it is too brief to notice what it states.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Sadler

A_World_Maker 21:07 07 Nov 03

Have you tried using the 'restore' feature on the bootable XP cd?

rowdy 21:16 07 Nov 03

As I read your explanation of events it would appear that you are trying to boot your HD upon which is your original XP installation.

After such major changes in hardware is this a good idea or even feasible.

I would have thought that a reinstall of the OS would give a better ,more reliable system and eliminate a lot of potential problems.

rowdy

woodchip 21:27 07 Nov 03

You need to format and reload with the correct motherboard drivers etc. You may be able to get into Windows in safe mode to save data

AMD_MAN23 21:27 07 Nov 03

Unfortunatly Windows xp does not like a change in major hardware as on original install it detects your current software and digitally signs it, as soon as you change a mojor componants windows xp will not boot and will only BSOD on you, the only fix for this is a re-install of windows xp im affraid.

Colin

cooljohnny 21:31 07 Nov 03

i agree with rowdy format hd reinstall os if not done so as your hd contain old m/booard drivers resulting serious problems/conflicts

rowdy 21:32 07 Nov 03

If your system is five years old and the HDD is the original then I would buy a new Hard Drive and do the new install on that as master. You could then at a later date install the old drive as slave and recover any items you wish from it. That is as long as you do not change the file system.

rowdy

rowdy 22:26 07 Nov 03

click here

rowdy

DieSse 00:11 08 Nov 03

You can almost certainly do a "repair" installation, which will leave your data and programs intact, and redetect all your hardware well enough to let Windows run.

Then you can backup what you need and do a clean format and re-install, which will get you the most stable installation.

For a "repair" install - simply boot from the WinXP CD - go through just as if you are doing a new install, but at the stage where it detects there is a previous installation, it asks you if you want to Repair it - you do - so press the appropriate key (R if I remember correctly).

Nore this is NOT the same as selecting Repair just after the CD boots - which only gets you into a diagnostic mode.

Jim Sadler 14:04 08 Nov 03

Thanks, boys, for all your suggestions. It does look like a re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…