Unable to access secure sites

seventiesdolly 15:38 03 Nov 05

For the past day I have been unable to access secure sites, ie ebay signing in page, spyware program updates, etc and I have done NOTHING different at all! I've emptied my cache and cookies, run disk clean up, checked my internet security settings all to no avail....

Splork 15:41 03 Nov 05

Select Help/About in Internet Explorer - is it using 128 bit encryption?

seventiesdolly 15:45 03 Nov 05

Can't even get onto that, I just get a page saying it couldn't be displayed, and anyway, why would it just suddenly not work?

Splork 15:52 03 Nov 05

It won't show the version number screen?
I can't answer the latter, it just happens.
You can try Control Panel / Add/Remove - click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and select Repair.

seventiesdolly 15:56 03 Nov 05

I haven't even got that on my add/remove programmes.

Splork 15:58 03 Nov 05

Your installation of IE6 is damaged then. Try re-installing from Microsoft - click here

BurrWalnut 16:03 03 Nov 05

Here are a few things to try, starting at the first one :-

1. Read through and perhaps download this little fix click here

2. Start, Run and type “sfc /scannow” (not the quotes but the space) and have your WinXP CD ready to put in the drive, should it be wanted. If the main Windows set-up screen appears and covers the progress bar, just close it. SFC will exit with no closing dialogue. To see which files, if any, were replaced look in Event Viewer. If SFC doesn’t work, the RPC locator service needs to be started in Start, All Programs, Administrative Tools, Services.

3. Find the hidden file ie.inf which is in the Windows\Inf folder. Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the menu that appears. Restart the computer after the files are copied.

4. To repair Internet Explorer 6 on a WinXP SP2 system, Start, Run, type "iexplore /rereg" (not the quotes but the space). It will re-register the DLLs.

seventiesdolly 16:05 03 Nov 05

I haven't got a windows disc, the machine came with it preinstalled.

Splork 16:06 03 Nov 05

Just to check - if you're running Windows 98 or ME that last comment applies, if XP then it doesn't, my mistake - IE6 isn't in the list as you say. However, if you can open an IE6 window at all, even if it doesn't allow you to look at a webpage, it should be possible to bring up the version number and encryption strength. Should version 6.0.2900.2180 etc and Cipher Strength 128bit.

BurrWalnut 16:07 03 Nov 05

It doesn't matter, try it (SFC that is).

seventiesdolly 16:31 03 Nov 05

I've tried reinstalling but it says a newer version is already installed on the machine.I tried the fix from BurrWalnut but that didn't work. Aol have run out of ideas - it was working yesterday, what am I supposed todo?! I can't access my bank, ebay, update pages for my anti virus/spyware programmes....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…