Unable to access a printer over LAN

carlos 20:46 27 May 03

Be grateful for advice...I recently upgraded a PC that was running '98. It had a parallel port printer shared over the LAN, no problem. After upgrading, even tho' I set its printer to share, other Win98 PCs weren't allowed access...it kept asking for user and password, even tho' I hadn't set any, honest Guv'. Any pointers, please.

carlos 20:33 18 Jul 03

Apparently this is a problem associated with synchronising Win98, 200 and xp. Also the unreliability ( or unsuitability) of TCP/IP on a subnet. Netbeui was suggested as a more suitable alternative by some but, not by others......hmm.

recap 21:06 18 Jul 03

NETBUI is ok for a small network, but, TCP/IP is the most recognised of all the protocols. If the printer is compatable with all O/S's then it should work on TCP/IP protocol. Remember when setting up a networked printer set it up as a local printer then share it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…