unable to access MS update

PvG 10:37 05 Sep 06

I am running IE 6.0.2. with SP2 and Sygate firewall and whenever I try to get MS updates, I get the screen with the green flashers going across and I wait and wait and wait - nothing.
No indication that Sygate is blocking and so I tried turning it off - again nothing.
I am also having a problem with my system locking up sometimes - have just done a new installation too.
Any suggestions?
PvG

ezypcy 10:57 05 Sep 06

Until the system settles down I would use the Windows Firewall.
I tried Sygate before but later dumped it.
There was problems relating to it's continual support.

Is it XP at home or Pro?
In general ,can you access the rest of the net?

johnnyrocker 11:39 05 Sep 06

what type of connection do you have because ms update can take quite a time, forget windows firewall and get another freebie. (personally i have no problem with sygate)

johnny.

JM45 12:23 05 Sep 06

I had the same problem last week I tried everything in the knowledge base to no avail, I shut down Zone Alarm and nothing and I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm and problem solved. I have XP Pro.

baldtaco 12:30 05 Sep 06

What johnnyrocker just said plus…

Firewall outbound protection VS leak tests - click here

Obviously that makes no provision for any HIPS one may be running, but it is clear which are more vulnerable to being taken from behind when tested in isolation.

Worthy of consideration and seldom <never?> flagged here:

Ashampoo firewall - fairly recently became free - click here

Jetico firewall – Bags of fun for those that really want control – perhaps not for noobs click here

Comodo – My current favourite freebie. Watched it develop and the high degree of responsiveness by Melih <CEO/President> and his crew should be an aspiration for many. - click here

PvG 16:26 05 Sep 06

Thanks guys.
For whatever reason..... took off Sygate, logged on and ...... yes, slowly, slowly got the 56 updates!
Comments about Sygate. Can only say that I have used it for 5 years and it tells me whan there is a hijack attempt. That feels OK for me.
Thanks again, hopefully problem solved.
PvG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…