Unable to access internet

tmr 16:52 03 Mar 07

After leaving my Winows XP computer running but unused for an hour or two I cannot access my internet or email without rebooting either, or both, the computer and Netgear modem/router.
When rebooting I frequently get the mesage Closing programme CCapp.exe and/or MSNunamedwindow.
After rebooting access is OK.
Is there any chance that my router is being hacked?

brundle 16:55 03 Mar 07

Very unlikely. CCapp.exe is part of Norton AV or Internet Security. Check the lights on your Netgear, if you have problems connecting and the internet light is flashing normally, the problem is your PC.
Wired or wireless connection?

bruno 17:13 03 Mar 07

I had a similar problem and found my connection was set to save power.I altered this by going into Control panel/network connections/right click local area connections/properties/configure/if the box is ticked...untick it.May not be the answer for you but worth checking.

tmr 17:39 03 Mar 07

brundle - I have a wired connection to the wireless router but have also experienced similar problems (without the programme closing message) when using wireless connection from a laptop.Sometimes the internet lights are flashing OK and other times they are not.

bruno - Thanks for the tip. I checked the power saving setting and found it was ticked. Now cleared it and will wait ro see if this clears the prob;em.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…