Unable to access files on old hard drive connected to new computer

MikeSA 09:47 09 Feb 14

I placed a 3GB Hard Drive from my old Pentium 1 computer running Windows 98 into an external hard drive enclosure and connected it to a USB port on my new computer running Windows 8.1. However, I am unable to access any of the files on the old hard drive. Instead, I get a message telling me that the drive needs to formatted. But if did that, all the files on the drive would be deleted. Even if I connect the external hard drive to another computer running Windows XP, I get the same message. What should I do? Please advise. Thanks.

onthelimit1 10:22 09 Feb 14

Hmmm. I was about to suggest try an XP machine, as I've had problems getting a W8 machine to recognise a drive in a caddy. I shall be interested to see if someone has a solution to this, as it's been a problem for me too for months.

bumpkin 10:54 09 Feb 14

If your old PC is still working maybe copy your files to a DVD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:00 09 Feb 14

How long since the drive was used? It is possibly faulty, have you tried coupling the caddy to any other machine?

If W98 then it will be formatted to Fat32.

MikeSA 18:06 09 Feb 14

Thanks for the prompt responses. If I put the drive back in my old computer, it works fine. Hence it is unlikely, the drive is faulty. Infact the old computer is in daily use and I use it to do all my correspondence. I do not have a DVD writer installed, only a CD, so I cannot copy the files onto a DVD. Neither can I copy the files to a flash drive or e-mail the files to my new computer as there is no USB port. Is there any other way?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 09 Feb 14

have you tried coupling the caddy to any other machine?

bumpkin 19:31 09 Feb 14

Will the files that you require fit on a few CDs assuming your CD drive is a writer.

Woolwell 20:03 09 Feb 14

It would appear that the files must be set for sharing see Move files from W98

alanrwood 08:38 10 Feb 14

An alternative is the transfer your files to a new hard drive on a different computer using an ethernet network or Computer Sharing. Of course it is only relevant if you have another computer available with sufficient space. What about upload to a cloud store if the data is not to large

BRYNIT 09:13 10 Feb 14

You could try EaseUS Partition Master Free CLICK HERE I believe it has a Partition Recovery Wizard.

alanrwood 19:20 10 Feb 14

As I understand what the OP says the partition isn't lost just unreadable on the new computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…