Unable to access device manager in XP

joethebow 11:59 05 Nov 04

I go to: Control Pannel, System, Hardware and click on Device Manager.

The following message appears:

'Cannot access C:\windows\system32\devmemt.msc. It could be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, was created by a later version or you do not have access rights.'

I was able to access it last week but not any longer. Any idea what I can do to sort it?

MichelleC 12:11 05 Nov 04

Try a sfc - system file might be corrupt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 05 Nov 04

Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, (note space before /) Xp will scan and replace missing / corrupt system files you may be asked to have CD in drive in not preinstalled on yr hard drive. Be patient it takes awhile.

joethebow 12:41 05 Nov 04

Tried sfc /scannow

It ran for about 1/4 hour asked for the XP disk which I inserted. Finished it's scan.

Still the problem persists.

joethebow 22:11 05 Nov 04

The problem appears to be much worse than I originaly suspected. The MMC Microsoft Management Console does not work. When I try to load anything that uses it I get the following message:

MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\filename.extension

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

Unfortunately one of the things that will not open is admisistrative tools so I cannot do anything about access rights. I have cheched the filenames and all are well over a year old. I might add that I installed SP2 just before I noticed the problem, however this may be a red hearing. (I'm running XP on an AMD XP 1700 with 56M of RAM and a Geforce video card.) A few weeks ago I reinstalled XP over the top of the old version, I havn't tried to run the MMC since then up untill I noticed the problem.

woodchip 22:41 05 Nov 04

Why not run System Restore. Or have you turned it off

joethebow 22:44 05 Nov 04

Trouble is I don't know how long ago the problem occured. I have installed a lot of software and modified a lot of things in the last couple of weeks so I will do a restore very reluctantly. Also as sfc /scannow didn't fix the problem I doubt that system restore will help.

VoG II 22:57 05 Nov 04

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disk drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Open the CD-Rom drive, insert your XP disk and restart your computer.

You will now see a screen message saying "Press any key to boot from CD", press the spacebar and a message appears informing you that "Set-up is inspecting your hardware configuration". This will be replaced by a blue screen, press Enter and you should see a "Welcome to Setup" menu, press Esc to continue; important, do not press R for Repair as this will start the Recovery Console.

The Windows Licence Agreement will now be displayed. Press F8 to signify acceptance and the next screen will list your operating system (usually just Windows XP). Select it and proceed to the next screen, which will have the option To Repair the Selected Windows installation press R. Hit the R key and the installation begins.

Windows Set-up will now go through what looks like a normal installation routine so be ready to respond to the prompts. When Set-up has finished, after a couple of restarts you should see your original desktop with all your shortcuts applications and programs.

You will need to go to the Windows Update site to get all of the critical patches.

woodchip 23:09 05 Nov 04

For the above you need a full XP disc not usually a restore disk

joethebow 23:19 05 Nov 04

Trying that now, will let you know what happens.

joethebow 23:38 05 Nov 04

Won't work.

1. I have an original XP CDROM that came with 6 floppy discs. When I tried to boot from the CD ROM the PC reported Not a boot disc.

2. I ran the CD and clicked Install windows XP and guess what? "Cannot install because the version of windows on your computer is newer than that on the disk" Damn Service Pack 2. The installation on my HDD came from that very disk only 3 weeks ago.

So unfortunately I cannot do the repair as you suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…