unable to access bios in a compaq pentium

pcgal 11:21 22 Jan 03
  pcgal 11:21 22 Jan 03

hi,
Ive just bought a compaq pentium 200 with its hdd re-formatted but I cant see how to enter bios.
When I power the computer up it just displays memory in top left corner of screen and thats it.
Ive tried pressing delete key /f1 etc but nothings happening.
help ..pcgalxx

AndySD 11:25 22 Jan 03

Reboot the machine. When the company name, Compaq, displays in big red letters on the Presario's screen, a cursor should appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Press F10 or F12, and instead of booting normally, you should see the setup screen for the Compaq's BIOS.

pcgal 11:27 22 Jan 03

thanx andy im not at the computer until tonight but i'll try that...pcgalxx

MalcSP 11:32 22 Jan 03

I seem to remember that until around 4 years ago Compaq stored their BIOS settings on the HDD. Therefore, if this was reformatted, no BIOS. A computer engineer of my aquaintance said that there were 21 operations involved in replacing an HDD on a Compaq at the time! Thankfully they have since seen sense! Might this be your problem?

pcgal 12:18 22 Jan 03

ok guys then whats the answer??????????????????

MalcSP 12:39 22 Jan 03

click here
Otherwise, it may be that a local PC shop might be able to help if no-one here on this forum can. As a last resort I'll contact my friend. However, I think you need software utilities. Let me know. I can't promise a quick response though.

pcgal 13:39 22 Jan 03

ok thanx everyone

BlueMeanie 20:34 23 Jan 03

The bios on a compaq PC is accessed via the hard disk as the first non-dos partition, which is accessed by F10 when a flashing cursor appears at the top right hand corner of the screen.

However, it can be accessed by a set of compaq bios disks use the link below :-

click here

This link to version 1.23A suits most Compaqs and is a self extracting maker for 4? floppy's.

It is easy peasy honest,

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…