Unable to access all system fonts

Isgraig 21:24 10 Jun 03

I’m running a PC with a Athlon XP 1600+ processor . OS is Windows XP Pro and the Ram is 256MB of DDR. I built the system myself from scratch and OS was installed from a full version disk. My fonts folder is way too big and currently holds 1214 fonts.
Some of the contents of the 40Gb HDD have been copied from a previous lower specification Win 95 PC using Norton Ghost. After the transfer, I found that the number of fonts available in QuarkExpress 4 Passport had been reduced to around 609 and no font beyond “Ornamental” was available from the drop-down list – the word “more” was missing from the top of the last list of fonts. I put this down to something having gone wrong in the copying over and learned to live with it.
I’ve recently installed Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and Adobe Illustrator 9 from disks onto the new computer. The drop down fonts menu in Illustrator is virtually identical to that in Quark. For some reason, the available fonts in Illustrator are restricted to 506, ending in “Plover”. Oddly, all the system fonts seem to be available in Photoshop.
Can anyone tell me what’s going on and how I can get round the problem.

Pesala 14:22 11 Jun 03

At the bottom of the page there is a utility called fifofo.exe. If you run this it will check your fonts folder and list any errors.
click here

High-Logic produce a Truetype Font Editor.

Possibly, during the copying some fonts were not properly registered. Over 1000 fonts is a lot, but I think that XP can cope with that many. I keep most of my fonts in another folder, and install only the ones I use regularly. If I find I am missing one, it doesn't take long to install it. Just over 500 now which is too much for ME.

Isgraig 21:35 11 Jun 03

Many thanks for the advice. I downloaded the software and it did find about a dozen errors all relating to wrong registry entries. The errors were corrected in seconds. None of the inaccessible fonts were listed as being problematical.

What I don't understand about this is why all the fonts are available in some of these large programs but not in others. I would have thought that both Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop would have been consistent in their refusal to open the last third or so of the available fonts on the system. Both of the programs were installed from disks one after the other last week.

At the end of the day, I might well have to follow your suggestion and move the rarely used fonts to another folder or delete them. Like you, I've always understood that XP is well able to cope with such a large number of fonts without too much trouble.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Pesala 06:12 12 Jun 03

Copy the fonts to another folder, then remove all but the Windows core fonts. Then re-install all of the fonts that you use. I would be surprised if you actually use more than 250.

It is a lot of work, but it makes it much quicker to select fonts, and is sure to speed up Windows at least slightly if not signficantly.

Isgraig 13:14 12 Jun 03

I think I'll try out your suggestion. Keeping tabs on all my fonts has got be using up system resources.

I'll keep the thread open for a while to see if anyone can explain why Photoshop and Quark has set a limit on the available fonts.

Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…