Un-wanted internet connect on boot up!

Drum 16:40 15 Dec 07

I posted about this topic a Few weeks back but never really got to the bottom of this. I eventually managed to cure it with Go Back but now it's back! I get an unwanted dial-up every time I boot, and if I manually disconnect, it tries to connect again in seconds.

I've done a Web search for this and it seems to be a problem that irks a lot of people. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution and the advice is always check for spy ware, check for programmes looking for updates and do a virus scan etc.

Does anyone have a better solution?

RobCharles1981 16:42 15 Dec 07

My Advice is to do a Spyware Check what programs do you have?

Also check your Internet Dialing settings in your control panel and look though your add/remove programs for any signs.

Sea Urchin 16:50 15 Dec 07

Make sure under Tools > Internet Options > Connections that "Dial whenever a connection is not present" is not ticked

woodchip 17:15 15 Dec 07

You have picked up a Auto Dialler some where, You need to get rid fast as this will be a 09 rate premium number

click here

click here

Drum 17:24 15 Dec 07

Thanks Sea Urchin, I've already done that.
What you mean Rob by "what programs you have"?

YIKES Woodchip, and what do I do about it?
BTW, surely the phone line would be engaged if this was the case?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 15 Dec 07

Surely a Firewall that stops outgoing as well as incomming will alert you as to what program is trying to connect.

What firewall are you using?

Drum 17:30 15 Dec 07

Windows firewall and Norton AntiVirus. I've also got a Windows defender and regularly get security updates etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 15 Dec 07

Windows firewall is incomming only and will not stop anything trying to "Phone home"

Several legit programs will try and connect to check for updates etc.

I suggest you load a decent firewall like ZoneAlarm click here
it will let you know what is trying to connect and you can allow or not if you recognise the program.

tullie 18:39 15 Dec 07

It cant dial up if your on BB can it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 15 Dec 07

An autodialler will attemt to dial up on a normal modem and cost you expensive calls .

Other nasties will connect via BB and send out your details, passwords, keystrokes, bank details, card numbers etc.

If you take reasonable care and have decent antispyware / antivirus (scan and update regularly) and firewall then you should be ok.

woodchip 20:41 15 Dec 07

AS it sounds like you have XP, Turn off Auto Updates as that may be trying to update your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…