Un-deleteable file! Please help!

Soapy-77 17:48 27 Jun 03

Please help - I am at the end of my tether. I sent some Word files to my CD drive for writing to a CD-RW. However, when I tried to write them to the disc, it said one file could not be written (Access Denied). To add problems to this situation, I cannot delete it, as the system says it does not exist! I cannot open it, delete it, rename it, or do anything with it. Now, every time I use my PC, the ballon appears telling me I have files to write to CD, but I do not, despite the 'ghost' image of this rogue file still being visible. I cannot therefore use my CD drive at present for writing any other files (goodbye back-ups!) as it thinks this rogue file is still there! I am running XP Home, with a TEAC CD-W524E cd-writer drive, which is '
working properly', according to the properties box.

HELP!!!!!!!

keith-236785 19:00 27 Jun 03

have you tried doing a system restore to a point before this occured, it might just sort it out.

i presume you have got "show all files" selected, and still cant find the ghost file, if so it might be in the registry, but im afraid i dont know where......

give it time and see if someone else can help with that one, but do try a system restore.

good luck

MIke 19:02 27 Jun 03

Just a thought have you checked it's properties, if it has any, is it read only? If so that might be whuy it can't be deleted

Pesala 19:06 27 Jun 03

when you try to copy a file from Windows Explorer, while the file is still open in Word. Always close the file before writing to CD, or use the Save As.. option to save it on the CD Drive.

Soapy-77 23:00 27 Jun 03

Thanks = problem finally solved. I was unable to even right-clcik on it to get properties, and Word was not open either. However, I found by using the 'Move' command on the left pane of the folder explorer and selecting Desktop (nothing else would register!), that I was able to delete the file with a further reboot once it ha dbeen moved. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…