Un compress drive

charliep 11:15 18 Apr 09

Using XP pro. While loading a program I got a message saying I was out of disc space and ended up compressing my C drive. 2 questions - can I un-compress the drive and if so how? How can I re apportion the disk space between my C & D drive? That is decrease the D drive and increase the C drive.

Many thanks in advance

Charliep

Jim_F 12:22 18 Apr 09

Uncompress per this link: click here

The Windows disk management console often baulks at touching the boot partition so a third party tool such as Acronis Partition Manager would be needed but be aware that there is always an element of risk.

My preferred solution is to move 'My Documents' to another partition - just right click and select the new location. Also move your mail file - usually from with the mail client.

It is also possible to set up a second 'My Programs' directory in a second partition and install less important programs there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 18 Apr 09

Better to leave C: uncompressed and move all yor data and photo etc. to D:

With C compressed it may not boot one day, giving you the dreaded blue screen and message Bootmgr or NTLDR is compressed.

Click on the Start button and then right-click on My Documents and select Properties. If there's no My Documents in your start menu then right click on the My Documents icon on your desktop instead.

When you've clicked on properties, select "Move" and then navigate to your D: drive. Select the drive letter and then click "Make New Folder." Enter "My Documents" as the folder name and hit Enter and then OK. Windows will then ask you whether you want to move your documents; click Yes.

Moving your documents make take some time. Once moved, though, you can access them normally from the "My Documents" icon on the desktop or elsewhere.

In the process you'll free up a lot of room on your C: drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…