Ultra slow broadband - Malware hassle?

HMG1K 14:20 12 Nov 08

Hi, I'm in need or serious help with my wireless broadband on my main desktop PC - and I fear I have some Malware taking up the connection.

The connection is non-existant. The wireless card (Belkin Pre-N) shows coverage, using Windows XP to manage my connections shows coverage, but when I load up a homepage, the BBC News website it takes forever to load before timing out after 5 minutes. It says in the bottom left of the page that connection has been made, shows the IP address etc. Even a simple page like Google takes 4 minutes or so and then brings up part of the page.

When I boot up the PC everything is fine. When I load my desktop this is where I suspect the 'bottleneck' to be. The desktop loads fine and fast, but my 5 or so SysTray icons takle about 5 minutes to fully load and during this time although I have my desktop fully loaded I cannot access / click to open anything - like something is blocking the internet connection / hogging resource.

It;s my desktop affected here - my other two IBM laptops on the same wireless hub are perfect.

I've run AVG 7.5 anti-virus, Zone Alarm, SpyBot, HD Valet, CCleaner, Adware, Registry Mechanic, Glary Utilities - but nothing. I've even uninstalled AVG and Zone Alarm plus cleared the PreFetch folder, and the Temp files. Even a HijackThis log hasn't thrown up any hassles.

The PC is an HP xw6000 Workstation, 2GB RAM, 2 x Intel Zeon 3.06GHz processors. Everything was fine up to a week ago and I am stumped on what next.

Thank you in advance for your help and time
Philip

rawprawn 14:33 12 Nov 08

Try downloading and running click here
Also go to Start> Run> Type msconfig and hit Enter, the under the Start Tab untick anything that shouldn't be running and Apply. You will get a message after you reboot click "Don't show this again"
Let us know how you get on.

oldbeefer2 14:52 12 Nov 08

Are you able to link the PC to router by ethernet cable? Would eliminate the wireless card from the equation.

HMG1K 15:26 12 Nov 08

Hi,

Thanks so far...

rawprawn - just running that Malware program at the moment.

oldbeefer2 - I can't connect via LAN with ethernet cable. Connections have been established according to the wireless router and Network Connections in XP say connected. Packets are being sent but not recieved. If I go into LAN's Support and click Details for Default Gateway it is blank - no entries under Property and value. If I right click the LAN icon to Repair the connection it says:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following cannot be completed: Failed query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

TCP/IP is installed on the machine, although I can't access its Properties as it throws up the following message:

"In order to configure TCP/IP, you must install and enable a network card adapter"

Thing is I have a a built in Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit card.

provider 2 16:17 12 Nov 08

If you`re not sorted yet, you might want to give Softpedia`s Dial-a-Fix a try. It`s often used to sort out Ms update problems but it can put right other mysterious hassles as well:

click here

HMG1K 17:00 12 Nov 08

Folks, thank you all for your help and advice!

rawprawn - you are a GENIUS! Thank you! I am sorted now! I ran that program, Malwarebytes, and it found 9 instances which all the other programs I tried failed to spot - and I am back up and running!

Thanks again, Philip

HMG1K 17:01 12 Nov 08

Folks, thank you all for your help and advice!

rawprawn - you are a GENIUS! Thank you! I am sorted now! I ran that program, Malwarebytes, and it found 9 instances which all the other programs I tried failed to spot - and I am back up and running!

Thanks again, Philip

rawprawn 17:31 12 Nov 08

You are welcome, thank you for the feed back.

HMG1K 18:03 12 Nov 08

Ok... I posted TOOOO soon!

I ran a Malware program Malwarebytes and it found 9 instances that AdAware, SpyBot etc hadn't picked up - it solved the problem! back to super fast speed on the internet etc! Great! Now I can also see my TCP/IP settings etc with no problem.

I then rebooted the PC, I can still see my TCP/IP settings as normal now - but the same problem has returned!!!!!!

Any ideas now? I'm rerunning Malwarebytes again.

Thanks in advance

HMG1K 18:19 12 Nov 08

Here's the Malware log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/11/2008 16:26:45
mbam-log-2008-11-12 (16-26-45).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|J:\|L:\|M:\|)
Objects scanned: 187747
Time elapsed: 42 minute(s), 12 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AntispywareBot (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot\Log (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot\Settings (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot\DataBaseNew.ref (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot\rs.dat (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot\Log\2008 Nov 02 - 11_40_13 PM_765.log (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Philip\Application Data\AntispywareBot\Settings\ScanResults.pie (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\AntispywareBot Scheduled Scan.job (Rogue.AntiSpywareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac