Ulead - totally confused

myanmarboy 01:43 04 Aug 07

I recently ventured into the world of video editing and am a bit lost.
One of my first acts was to buy a firewire card to capture video properly.
The card (cost approx £10) came bundled with a foc CDrom of Ulead Videostudio 9 SE DVD. I liked the prog so downloaded the trial version of Ulead VS11, to see what the full version gave me over what I had.
Checking out the trial download I can find very little that I don't have with my freebie VS9.
Am I missing something? I just don't see how anyone can give away a prog retailing at around £50. Is there something that I'm missing? All help appreciated.

johndrew 09:51 04 Aug 07

The SE version of software is, in my experience, generally cut down from the full version.

Although I use Pinnacle, which has several versions each of which contains more facilities, I believe Ulead do the same. The Ulead site isn`t responding at the moment so I can`t check this out. However there are various reviews which may give some clues

click here click here click here click here click here

The Ulead site is click here when it`s working.

jack 10:51 04 Aug 07

Don't be confused- with all these graphics programs
including the most costly Pro ones the updated versions contain very little extra- except maybe for the most avid user.
With my digi Darkroom group- Though I have Paint shop Pro 10 on my machine.
I ask that they all load the same program for tutorials and they are all going along nicely with PSP8 several incarnations behind- and for general work, there is nothing it.

If you are beginning your learning curve- the 'Lite' or older versions of most programs will serve very well.

holme 12:46 04 Aug 07

I entirely agree with johndrew and jack. Ulead have a very happy knack of releasing 'old' versions of their progs on cover discs or, as you found, bundled with hardware. They're loss-leaders on the basis that, if you like what you get, they hope you might then spend real money on upgrading to the current version.

But the 'old' (i.e. c.2005) VideoStudio v9 is a splendid programme in its own right, with valuable features which many others don't have. For example, you can download tracks directly off DVDs, and the overlay feature makes adding cutaways/'noddies' etc a real breeze.

The current version (11 Plus) does have a number of extra goodies, e.g. support for HD and Core 2 Duo processors. But if you're not into that sort of thing, IMHO VideoStudio v9 is the best - especially at that price... Enjoy.

myanmarboy 18:22 04 Aug 07

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like I got bargain. I will be sticking with version 9, for the foreseeable future now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…