UK \ US compatibility issues

  danpUK 15:36 18 Jul 07

I am planning on moving to the U.S. in a few months and I was wondering if I will be able to take my PC with me or not. The reason I ask is that there is a 230V / 110V selector switch (I think it’s 110, it’s whatever American mains voltage is) on my power supply and I wondered if it is as simple as switching it over to 110V and plugging it all in. Is this possible or are there other issues that would prevent me from doing this?

  keef66 15:53 18 Jul 07

Your pc itself should be OK, just switch it to 110v and get a new power lead (your UK 3 pin one won't fit!) or use a travel adapter.

It's usually the other stuff like monitors, printers, modems, routers etc etc that can't be switched to take 110v power

  danpUK 15:55 18 Jul 07

Thanks keef

  Stuartli 16:01 18 Jul 07

Many lap tops have such a switch or do the changeover automatically for 110/240V use.

  amonra 16:30 18 Jul 07

If you intend taking all your computer and Hi Fi kit over with you, then the easiest thing to do is buy a 110v/240v transformer when you get there and wire up some 13 amp extension leads into the lounge. That way you avoid the possibility of plugging the wrong thing into the wrong socket.
Another alternative is to check your incoming mains supply to your US house and see if there are two phases available. My who lives in Connecticut has his kitchen wired from the two phases, (ie. 220v) so that he can use a decent 3KW kettle !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5