Uk Power Supply in France

Dearersteak 19:58 26 Nov 03

Hay all. Easy one for you.

I'm building a machine for my granparents who live in france. I have an Old power supply that i'm going to use, but Frances mains power is only 230v, not 240v.

Will this be a problem? or will i need to get hold of a french power supply...
(thing is that almost all PSU i've seen do infact read 230v on the little red switch)

A_World_Maker 20:17 26 Nov 03

230volts will not be a problem, all power supplies carry zeneer diodes, which smooth power and charge capacitors through the transformer, which release power at a stable DC output. To convert 240 volts to a 12 volt DC output is 5% ratio... so will not be effected by a 230 volt supply. Most power in the UK fluctuates between 200-270 volts, so dont worry :-)

Djohn 20:18 26 Nov 03

The slight difference you mention will not have any affect. j.

DieSse 20:23 26 Nov 03

However you will need to think about the modem connection, and how they are going to presumably set up with an ISP in France.

Dearersteak 20:25 26 Nov 03

Ok... great! Just what i expected. As for the ISP, i'm going to look into that soon as well.

Thanks Everyone

I've got déja vous, Dearersteak!

anchor 08:54 27 Nov 03

Have a read of this. It seems 230v is now an EU standard.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…