UK English Spellcheck

Quilljar 23:04 08 Jan 05

My copy of MS Word is supposed to have the option of a UK English spellcheck. However, it really only produces US English and always reverts to that. Is there any way of making sure I can get a UK version? Is there a free add-on? Why does Microsoft do this? I bought the program in the UK.

alan227 23:20 08 Jan 05

OPen MS word / click on tools / click on language / click on set language / click on english UK / click on default.

Quilljar 23:56 08 Jan 05

Thanks for the thought Alan, but it is because that does not work that I have asked the question. I am an experienced user of MS Word, but up to now have just accepted the US English, but now it has started to irritate me. Using the accepted method that you describe does not work. I have tried it with the CD in to see if it will find a UK dictionary, but it does not. I need some radical suggestions please.

User-312386 00:13 09 Jan 05

First look for the file on your PC and delete it. Next do as alan227 has said

Peter 00:16 09 Jan 05

I think perhaps your is set to US American English. If you have not tailored your too much then you could rename it as normal.old when you are not running Word and Word should build a new when you start it up. If you have done as alan227 suggested there is a good chance that this will use British English for the spell checking.

If not then open Word and use the File, New option to open a "Blank Document" AS A TEMPLATE. Then follow alan227's instructions and save the document AS A TEMPLATE. Hopefully this should solve your problems.

As a precaution save a copy of your to a floppy, or somewhere else secure, so that you can get back to where you are now if it all goes wrong.

Peter 00:19 09 Jan 05

PS - Before you follow alan227's instructions ensure that you have the whole of the document selected by pressing "Control + A".

Quilljar 00:45 09 Jan 05

Well many many thanks to you all for the help. It has worked I can't believe I did not know this!
Happy New Year to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…