Uh Oh! New upgrade set up. HDD formatting etc.....

Picklefactory 20:03 13 Apr 08

Hi folks
Somehow I thought I'd be visiting........
OK. I've pretty well rebuilt pc. New MSI P6N SLI V2 mobo, Intel E6550 Dual core, 2Gb Ram. Also new 250Gb SATA drive PLUS original 120gb SATA.
Good news....started up fine, humming sweetly and straight into boot screen and BIOS, found and recognised all drives cleanly, looking good.
Bad news.....not a clue where to go now :-)
Original setup was Win XP Pro SP2 on that single 120Gb HDD, with single partition. I didn't re-format before I stripped and pc is now trying to boot from that drive with no success. I want to do full clean install and wipe that drive. Tried booting from XP disk, but it doesn't seem to like it. I'm here now through a LinuxOS Live CD, which I also intend to load, but I've read it's easier to dual boot that after installing XP.
Any clues as to how I get full, clean install on the go?
Thanks folks

Picklefactory 20:26 13 Apr 08

When I try to boot from XP disk, I get 'File\i386\bios info.inf could not be loaded The error code is 4096 Setup cannot continue'
Google is telling me this could be dodgy HDD. I did have issues with old setup freezing, hence one reason for the rebuild, could my old SATA HDD be causing me an issue?

Zeppelyn 21:46 13 Apr 08

Possibly, try checking connections to drive are tight. Try installing XP with only new drive attached.

Picklefactory 21:53 13 Apr 08

Sorry, should have mentioned I tried that. I'm finding mentions also that dual core can cause some setup issues initially. I'm looking at that too right now. Found a reference to booting with Win98 boot disk to reformat/partition, then try XP set up again.
........now where did I put that old Win98 boot disk????

MCE2K5 21:55 13 Apr 08
  Picklefactory 22:04 13 Apr 08

Still struggling. Saved Win98 bootdisk file from MCE2K5's link (Thanks) and it's a .exe, but it doesnt run as bootable as is. Changed BIOS to run from floppy, but doesn't accept that as boot disk. As mentioned in 1st post, I'm currently online through LinuxOS Live Cd, so can't run the .exe on this pc as it's MS program. Do I have to run it to create boot disk for floppy?

MCE2K5 22:06 13 Apr 08

Most of the bootdisk files are self extracting images of bootable floppies. After you download the image file, insert a BRAND NEW floppy disk in your A: drive and click on the file to make the disk.

Picklefactory 22:10 13 Apr 08

Yeah, that's what I thought. Can't run the Microsoft .exe in Linux though. I'll do a bootable floppy at work tomorrow and have a go tomorrow night. Dead beat now, so giving up for tonight.
Cheers
I'll be back tomorrow.

Picklefactory 08:11 14 Apr 08

.........so what shall I do with it?
I've found some references where I should maybe run Fdisk and format/repartition drives. I have partitioned single drive before. (Some time ago) but this is my 1st multi HDD build and both SATA drives, so all new ground for me.
Any advice on best way forward? Any thoughts on what my issue is, and why XP disk doesn't want to run?
Cheers

Picklefactory 08:33 14 Apr 08

Wondering about Fdisk. Found this click here and post at the bottom states Fdisk doesn't work with SATA as it doesn't have drivers for it. I want to format/partition 2 x SATA HDD's.

Picklefactory 15:15 14 Apr 08

OK, going home soon to continue battle.
Any last pieces of advice before I do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…