IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager in Windows XP shows:

Primary IDE Channel

HDD0 - UDMA 5
CD-ROM - UDMA 2

All well and good

Secondary IDE Channel

HDD1 - UDMA 3
ZIP 100 - PIO

I am aware that the ZIP Drive cant work in UDMA mode, but why on earth is HDD1 only working at UDMA 3 and not 5 when the manual says it can work at 5? I have followed numerous guides explaining how you need to set "DMA if available" and it should speed things up, but for some reason it still shows as UDMA 3.

Why am I that bothered you ask? because HDD0 and HDD1 are in RAID 0 configuration and the latter of the two HDD's is slowing my PC down quite a bit.

Any fixes so that I can get HDD1 running in UDMA 5 mode? BTW. It's a Seagate ST340015A 40GB 5800 RPM drive.

Thanks.

woodchip 15:39 03 Jan 06

Does HDD have a 80 wire cable check ribbon cable looks like on other drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 03 Jan 06

Why am I that bothered you ask? because HDD0 and HDD1 are in RAID 0 configuration and the latter of the two HDD's is slowing my PC down quite a bit.

Although the HDD1 is showing UMA3 because it is on the same IDE channel as the Zip drive at PIO, then its going to run as slow as the slowest device on the channel.

Try putting HHD1 as slave on the primary channel and the CD as master on the secondary channel.

This would give you the faster available options for your setup.

woodchip 15:56 03 Jan 06

If this is something like a new computer a Zip drive should not have any effect on the Hard Drive this only applied to old Computers

hellfire18 16:25 03 Jan 06

Yeah my PC is only 1 1/2 years old.

I downloaded the UATA100 utility from the Seagate web site and ran it under DOS. It shows that it is running in UDMA 5 Mode?!?! I rebooted XP Pro SP2 and guess what? It still shows as UDMA 3.

Woodchip, the cables are fine. Now I am confused!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…