UCS Character Code

Nenad 13:39 31 Jan 03

I want to use some UCS character codes in a Word 6 document using Windows 97. Could someone please explain how a character is found and put in a document using the code number for the symbol.
Thanks a lot

VoG™ 14:06 31 Jan 03

List of codes click here

To insert a symbol, hold down ALT and type in the numeric code using the numeric keyboard.

pj123 15:55 31 Jan 03

further to VoG™ response make sure you have the Num Lock on. you need to know the ASCII code obviously. If you want a complete copy of all the characters email me and I will send you them.

Old PC man 21:01 31 Jan 03

I tried to post a response to this earlier and had written all this only to find the sattelite link had gone down and I'd been disconnected so here goes again.

If you need to find control code for a particular character try this
Start>programs>acessories>system tools>character map.

In the pop-up window, select the font you are using from the drop down menu and click on the particular character you wish to use. In the bottom right hand corner of the character map window the control code for that character is displayed.

As VoG™ and pj123 said, you can only insert the character by using the numerical keypad with Num. Lock enabled.

Take control.

John /#)

Nenad 17:57 02 Feb 03

It's clearly more complicated than I imagined. I wanted to put a UCS symbol in a Word 6 document but not a latin character or a punctuation mark. Eg symbol Beta UCS code 03B2. How is this done?

-pops- 18:21 02 Feb 03

Or go to "Insert" in Word, click on "Symbol" and find your letter(s) there.

Example: α β γ δ ε ζ (don’t know whether this will work on this site).

Brian

Old PC man 18:24 02 Feb 03

I inserted the code you noted and got this ☻

Is this what you're trying to insert. This is 03b2 in Times new roman font.

Inserted using Alt> numric 03-lower case b- numeric 2.

This is a negative of a smiley face in the response message box, when it's transferred to the thread it may appear different as the font is not the same. I'll post another if it has changed

John /#))

Old PC man 18:33 02 Feb 03

Just as I thought it has changed to a square box which must be Alt. 03b2 in whatever this font is. It looks like Tahoma but if it's not someone will correct me.

John

Pesala 18:43 02 Feb 03

More flexible if you frequently need to insert Unicode characters is a macro recorder.

I use Perfect Keyboard Pro, which I got free on a magazine cover disk. Only about $20 to register the latest version (Shareware). The latest version can record typing on the Numeric Keypad, thus one can define shortcut keys for any Unicode characters.

click here to download a shareware copy of Perfect Keyboard Pro.

€dstow 08:59 03 Feb 03

If the character is not available in Insert Symbol, go into Character Map (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tolls, charater Map). Highlight the character you want, click on Select then on Copy and the character will be inserted at the position you left your cursor on the Word document.

€d

Qmar 00:36 25 Jul 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…