Ubuntu and Tiscali

RogerLH 20:16 05 May 06

Have loaded Ubuntu and it seems to work well UNTIL attempting to get it to accept Tiscali broadband .Just will not recognise it - or is it that Tiscali will not allow Ubuntu to operate its service?

canute44 22:25 05 May 06

I have used Tiscali broadband for several years and in recent months have experimented with Linux. So far I have had no problems at all with Tiscali under Mandriva 2005LE, Suse 10.0 and my current distro SimplyMepis.
As far as I understand it both SimplyMepis and Ubuntu are based on Debian so you should have no major problems.

octal 22:42 05 May 06

How are you connecting to Tiscali? The reason I ask it sounds more like a driver problem rather than Tiscali, it could be a modem or router not being recognised by Linux.

canute44 09:32 06 May 06

I connect via an ethernet modem (no driver required) having given up on wireless networking.
I have two pc's connected, one with Windows XP the other with dual boot Windows Me and Linux. Since adopting the ethernet approach, networking has been easy.
Tiscali have been no problem at all in all the time I have been using them.

RogerLH 11:51 06 May 06

Canute44 and Octal . Many thanks to you both for your advice - perhaps it is the Tiscali brand modem - but will try another Linux version first.

Stuartli 12:37 06 May 06

Tiscali uses two different modems, the Sagem [email protected] 800 and a SpeedTouch variety.

It has always seem willing to supply either as required on request to subscribers having problems.

It also has 13 pages of broadband help at:

click here

Technical help line: 0870 744 2922

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…