Ubuntu Overwrites Vista?

MarleyCat 21:24 17 Nov 08

I have just copied Ubuntu to my hard disk thinking it would go onto a separate partition than the one I have got Vista so I could choose which OS to use .
However I think I have messed things up as I cannot get into Vista or find any of my files.I think the partitioning as gone up the creek.Is there any hope for me without reformatting my hard drive and reloading Vista back in?
Fortunately most of my files were backed up.
Can anyone help please?

LastChip 21:54 17 Nov 08

Ubuntu will happily dual boot, provided you give it a partition and tell it to do so. I suspect you may not have done that. Very possibly, you told it to use the whole of the drive, so it did.

click here for a page I wrote concerning installing PCLinuxOS. Although it's noy Ubuntu, the installation process is pretty much the same. Take particular note of the partitioning process. Did you do something similar?

Can you access Ubuntu OK?

If you can, what does the file manager show in terms of your hard drive(s) and partitions?

Whether you can recover anything depends upon the result you get from above.

You can also open up a terminal and type the following command:

sudo fdisk -l

Hit Enter.

It will ask you for your password, type it in and hit Enter again.

This will give you the Hard drive output data. Use copy and paste to post it back here.

MarleyCat 19:33 18 Nov 08

Lastchip

Many thanks for your quick reply.
I will try out your suggestions ASAP.
In the meantime I have no trouble accessing Ubuntu.
I got confused loading up Ubuntu and started out telling it to use the whole drive as a partition,then stopped it and then used the manual version.
Your page on the PCLinuxOS is proving very interesting and useful.Thankyou

DieSse 22:42 18 Nov 08

If the partitioning even just started, then no - there is no chance of recovering your files, as the information vital to where the files are, and to the whole structure of the drive data, will have been destroyed.

The correct way to recover your system is to reload your backup - either a whole drive image, or reinstall Vista and copy back your data.

If you don't have backups, then let this be an object lesson to you and all who read this - the time to backup is RIGHT NOW - not when you've just had a problem.

I hope the worst has not happened - in which case I trust LCs instructions help.

MarleyCat 10:20 19 Nov 08

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x90000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 964622924 482311431 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 964622925 976768064 6072570 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 964622988 966727439 1052226 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 966727503 976221854 4747176 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 976221918 976768064 273073+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
[email protected]:~$
[email protected]:~$

Lastship

As you can see from the above I think I will have to start again from square 1.
There is also no mention of Windows from the file manager when I load the partition editor but thankyou once again for your help

MarleyCat 10:24 19 Nov 08

DieSse

Thank you for your comments.You have just confirmed my own thoughts on the subject

LastChip 11:44 19 Nov 08

Just to run through this for you.

/dev/sda1 is your root partition

/dev/sda2 is the extended partition and has no storage as such (it's a place holder if you like).

/dev/sda5 is the swap partition (the same as a paging file in Windows)

/dev/sda6 and

/dev/sda7 are a mystery (sort of)

dev/sda6 could be your home partition

and /dev/sda7 looks like you may have set two swap files. But the "flag" at the end is not necessarily true.

If you go into the file manager, what do you find in these last two partitions?

You can have (almost) any number of partitions on a Linux system, but they will have a purpose. We need to find out what that purpose is.

MarleyCat 23:31 23 Nov 08

LASTCHIP

I have only just been able to read your last post
for which I thank you very much.
After the reply from DieSse I decided to reload Vista and treat the whole episode as a lesson well learned.
Thank you once again for taking the trouble to reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…