Ubuntu installation failure

sorceror7374 17:06 14 Nov 09

I'm desperately trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 from a burned disc of the official CD iso onto it's own partition on my PC to make a dual boot system with my WinXP Pro. I keep getting through the setup process and then it starts to install but keeps freezing up the PC when the installation status bar gets to 23% and won't go any further. The disc stops spinning, all activity ceases at that point and the only thing I can do is pull the plug out and start all over again. Is there anything I can do or am I hopelessly stuck with a Windows-only option?

LastChip 17:27 14 Nov 09

Have you successfully run the system from the CD (as a "Live CD)?

Are you trying to install the system from within Windows?

Have you run a memory check, as this has some symptoms that suggest a bad memory block?

Have you done a "media" check of the disc?

sorceror7374 19:27 14 Nov 09

100% pass on the memory check. A check on the disc came up all clear. Tried another install and it made it up to 24% on the status bar before it failed/froze again.
Based on my PC's specs I would have to say that I'd probably have nothing but trouble running it as a live cd. I had the spare partition available which is why I decided to go straight to installing it. I've read so much about how much more problem free Ubuntu is compared to Windows, but at least XP installs without any problems!

Procrastinus 21:27 14 Nov 09

You might try this forum.

click here

There seem to have been similar problems.
Might be worth trying an earlier version - 8.04 works well for me and is a LTS version with two years still to run. Good Luck

LastChip 22:02 14 Nov 09

The whole point about running a Live CD, is it will give you a good indication as to whether the distro will run correctly on your hardware.

If the other checks I suggested are OK, then it is likely there is a driver problem, which almost certainly would show up on the Live CD attempt. This is why it's always worth ten minutes, to see if there are any potential problems.

If you want to try Linux, then an earlier version as suggested by 608, or something like Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS, could be viable alternatives.

sorceror7374 22:37 14 Nov 09

Live CD mode freezes the PC as well....before it even loads up the OS. I still don't know what this thing even looks like!! Not sure how people can be so high on software that so many people on Ubuntu's own forums can't even install. There are countless people with the same problem as me and no solution has been found for any of them. I've been searching on there for hours.
I'm not sure about earlier versions of Linux either as the draw to the newer ones is that you don't have to be a programmer to use them. Or perhaps that's a lie just like everything else I've been reading. Like the idea that exploring the whole new world of Linux is supposed to be fun. Some of us want to use our PC's as opposed to fix them. Microsoft may not do things incredibly well but a least I've never had any problems installing Windows on any of the 7 PC's I've had over the years as well as friend's computers that I've helped with.

LastChip 00:35 15 Nov 09

OK. So Ubuntu is going to give you grief, but don't automatically assume, every Linux distro is the same.

For what it's worth, I don't use Ubuntu and don't particularly like it (and I'll explain why in a moment), but there are many thousands, probably millions worldwide that do.

While I hesitate to criticise Ubuntu, as in all fairness, they have probably achieved more to popularise Linux, than any other distro, I personally, think they are making a mistake, trying to ship a new distro every six months. Common sense tells me, it must lead to rushed releases, that undoubtedly will have bugs and consequently send out the wrong message to people like yourself.

Never-the-less, not all Linux distros are equal and trying an alternative as suggested in my last post, may help you achieve your objective.

Other "mainstream" distros worthy of note, incluse Open SuSE, Fedora and Mandriva. All have good support and may run perfectly satisfactory on your computer. But the only way you'll find out, is to try them.

It is always worth reading the release notes of a distro, as they will tell you about known problems and give you fixes if they are available.

If you have the patience to try about three and all give you an installation problem, then either there is a hardware fault on your machine, or, you simply have a piece of hardware that is not yet supported by Linux. This however, is becoming more of a rarity as each month passes.

I am pleased you have not experienced any problems with installing Windows in the past, but these forums are full of people who have had many problems doing just that, so Linux is not unique in that respect.

Finally, if you need help, I'm very happy to try and help where I can and there are other Linux users here who undoubtedly will try and help as well. But there's nothing like face to face help when you really have a problem. A quick search on the Internet will tell you if you have a LUG (Linux Users Group) near you. If you have, they will normally try and help any new user achieve their objectives, whether it be an installation problem or anything else. So maybe there's one near you that can help.

sorceror7374 10:02 15 Nov 09

I'm a fairly proficient PC user. I've built my last 3 PC's myself. I'm no expert but rather a capable intermediate enthusiast. Having said that I'm not looking for an experience that consistently has me 'checking under the bonnet' just to make basic things work satisfactorily. My personal view is that the general user should only occasionally need to exercise some research and technical know-how when required for larger jobs. This is why I've attempted to try the Ubuntu distro.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I've read about the various distros, Ubuntu is the one geared towards a typical desktop PC for general use and the others are more geared towards either servers or more technical users and also need a hefty amount of tweaking and upkeep to get and keep a PC running the way one requires.

That's what has scared me away from the other distros as I don't have a lot of time to commit to essentially learning an entirely new skillset if that's what this is going to require. Recent versions of Ubuntu have finally sounded like a reasonable solution to time and money constraints.

I appreciate the time and energy that anyone puts in on both helprooms like this one and even more so, into the greater Linux community. The philosophy and community of Linux is 50% of what has me investigating the possibility of switching. I'm just a bit put off by the seemingly low rate of trouble free installation/usage of Ubuntu in particular, but then again, perhaps I'm not seeing a full range of evidence, good and bad.

The PC that I'm unsuccessfully attempting to install Ubuntu on has not had any hardware upgrades in the last 3 years. The oldest part of it is the motherboard which is now 5-6 years old. I thought the support for hardware of this age would all be there at this point and it would only be the latest and also much, much older hardware that may not be supported. Again, that's just my own thinking that's brought me to that conclusion which could be entirely wrong.

Based on this latest post, does it sound like I have any reasonable options regarding the installation of a low maintenance general usage Linux distro that won't consume too much of my time?

octal 10:18 15 Nov 09

If the motherboard is 5 or 6 years old then how much memory do you have installed? If you are installing any of the modern operating systems whether Windows or the modern Linux you do need a reasonable amount of memory.

I have just changed from PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu and installed it without any problems. Ubuntu does need a fair amount of memory to run to take advantage of the nice graphics on the desktop. The only downside to Ubuntu is that you can't go into Root with the GUI, only the command line. Most people never have to go into the command line anyway, so it's too much of a problem. If you need to do anything that requires using commands then they are pretty much published and you just have to cut and paste them without know much of what they do, unless you want to that is.

I've been using Linux for about 5 or 6 years and very rarely go under the bonnet so I'm no where near an expert about what goes on there, there are plenty of people that do so I rely on them.

sorceror7374 10:31 15 Nov 09

Details:
AMD Athlon XP 2000 1.67 GHz CPU
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card

'The only downside to Ubuntu is that you can't go into Root with the GUI, only the command line.'
I don't even know what that means as my problem is a total freeze of my system when either trying to install Ubuntu or trying to run it from the Live CD.

octal 10:46 15 Nov 09

That's the point, you don't have to know anything about the command line, so don't worry.

Your set up is very similar to mine, although I changed my graphics card to an Nvidia type as the ATI type not very well supported in Linux, they will work, but you don't get the best out of them.

I remember reading a few years ago that there were some motherboards that did not support Linux, I'm wondering if you've got one of those boards, it sounds about the right age. This site should tell if yours is compatible click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…