ubuntu: HAL has failed to ninitialize

ironjade 22:51 16 Jul 07

I've successfully installed Ubuntu alongside XP Pro on my laptop where, until today, it was quite happy.
Now, perhaps as the result of an update, every time I open Ubuntu I get this message: "Internal error: HAL has failed to initialize".
The most obvious effect of this is that my external HD and DVD writer are no longer recognized. I've tried reinstalling as many relevant packages as I can find but neither that nor command line prompts seem to cure the problem
Does Ubuntu have a version of System Restore? Can it be reinstalled, repaired or removed without wrecking XP?
I'd like to keep it but in its present crippled state it's not much of an advance on XP.

skidzy 23:07 16 Jul 07
  woodchip 23:12 16 Jul 07

A windows Forum is not the Place to really look for help with Linux, You may get some but you would be better and faster searching Google. Have a Read click here=

Looks like it a Bug in USB try removing all USB hardware then Reboot to see if you still get the message if not add one usb until it reoccurs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…