UBUNTU GRUB Error 21

rossgolf 18:41 02 Jan 08

any ideas to what is causing the Error 21 on boot
tryin to dual boot with linux and xp
xp on one hdd
ubuntu on the other.
fully installed unbuntu then it said restart computer so i did then the error 21 came up as it was booting back up
have looked on google but it says something about reparin the MBR (i dnt no what MBR is?) any ideas???

skidzy 19:11 02 Jan 08

Ross you would have been better sticking to the other thread click here

I didnt realise you where trying to dual boot from two drives.

Im not sure how this is done,though going this way i think you would need to change the bios boot order,basically booting from the Linux drive to get access.Going to be a pain as you would need to change the bios everytime you wanted to boot into windows.

There maybe a way around this by editing the boot menu within GRUB.

Some of the real experts may help further,lookout for
Octal / Lastchip / DieSse these guys know there way around Linux very well.

Ive only tried dual booting from one drive and on all occassions its worked fine...well except my first attempt.

rossgolf 19:39 02 Jan 08

cheers
i have tried to repair the MBR(as i have found out what it is) but i am now geting another error of some kind i dont think it is anythink to do with this so i will look at that later.

if any of them people ie...Octal / Lastchip / DieSse
do post on here it will be much apreciated

SANTOS7 19:43 02 Jan 08

click here

follow thread it may help...

rossgolf 20:08 02 Jan 08

i have sucesfully booted past the "error 21" by tinkering with the standard CMOS settings
but now when i want to load in to windows xp i get the option to then i press enter then it goes into the the
"last good known configuration"
"safe mode"
"sfe mode with........"
"start normally"

which ever one i pick it restarts the computer as normal with the settin i have chosen but becuase it restarts the computer the dual boot comes up again.

rossgolf 21:20 02 Jan 08

if you have the source code of a program how do you make it so you can use it as a program not jst c#some code (executable)

rossgolf 21:26 02 Jan 08

should read not just some code

not c#some code

octal 21:41 02 Jan 08

Error 21 means the grub bootloader can't find the disk. I can't speak for Ubuntu but with PCLinuxOS using the live CD in systems there is something called Redo MBR which will over write the old grub.

alternatively using the live CD again navigate to /boot/grub and look for a file called menu.lst if that is the bootloader file. If something has changed it sometimes backs up the old file as menu.old, just rename the menu.lst to menu.lst_old and rename the menu.old the menu.lst and see if that gets it working.

If that doesn't work then just rename them back again and you will have to have a look in the menu.lst file and edit it, if you are dual booting then it will look like this example which is mine:
timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
default 1

title windows
root (hd1,0)
map (0x81) (0x80)
map (0x80) (0x81)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda1 acpi=on resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

The most like problem is the drive in Linux is incorrectly named. Try the redo MBR first if it's available.

rossgolf 21:45 02 Jan 08

sorry im a newbie and where do i put this code?
will thissolve me not bein able to boot into wndows??

octal 21:53 02 Jan 08

Ah sorry.

Now I'm guessing with Ubuntu, so you will have to try this unless anyone can correct me, but you want do any more harm by trying this.

Put the Ubuntu disk in and reboot the computer.

When everything has booted up navigate to the system administration where redo MBR could be.

I think I've got an Ubuntu disk here somewhere, I'll try and find it so I can see what's going on.

octal 21:53 02 Jan 08

want -won't of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…