Ubunto, Im in deep trouble, Help

User-324448 12:13 26 Dec 08

In Nov or early Dec I installed Ubunto onto a Vista laptop, I used a remote hard drive. now I want it uninstalled, and damn I have no idea how to, I have even forgoton the passwords I used to open it, just shows how much I used it.
When I switch on the laptop I have a choice of operating systems, I would like this removed, I am not too bothered about removing the O/S from my remote hard drive, it would be a bonus if I could

Taff™ 13:14 26 Dec 08

Did you use a Wubi click here to install it on the main hard drive along with Vista or did you partition the drive? I`m not sure if the Ubuntu installation is on the main HDD or running from the external drive.

iambeavis 14:02 26 Dec 08
  iambeavis 14:04 26 Dec 08

If you don't have a Vista installation disc, then you may need to make a repair disc - click here

Poitier 15:36 26 Dec 08

I am not familiar with Vista but have just done it on a desktop using XP.It was first necessary to remove the bootloader and then the partitions were deleted using disk management in XP.The bootloader was removed by typing FIXMBR at the command prompt in the Recovery Console.It is
advised to backup before you start.
click here I hope that this points you in the right direction.

User-324448 18:31 26 Dec 08

I have not attenpted to remove ubunto yet for a coiple of reasons firstly my broad band is very iffy and drops of from time to time 2 hours this afternoon, not unusual as we are at the very limit of a poor line also your replies are partly obscured by blocks of adverts on the right Thanks again for trying to help me, I will let you know how I get on.Taff the main ubunto is on a stand alone hard drive an Aldi special

Poitier 18:59 26 Dec 08

Found this in Google search. click here

Poitier 13:58 27 Dec 08

Sorry link did not work as expected.You could search Google for 'remove grub in linux'but I will quote article. Boot with Vista disk in drive,select your language,select repair,select which partition/installation to repair,click open dos(last option on the list)type:
bootrec.exe/FixMbr
I expect you need to press enter.

User-324448 20:13 27 Dec 08

I will have a go at all the suggestions when the household is back to normal, christmas aye?

Procrastinus 21:15 27 Dec 08

I have done this before with XP. Download GParted Live CD as an .iso image. Ensure that your CD drive is first boot option in the BIOS. Boot into the GParted Live CD and delete all Ubuntu partitions. Reboot, but this time with your Windows CD in the drive. Go for Repair option by pressing 'R' at the appropriate moment. On the command line type 'fixmbr' (without the quotes) and your original Windows boot sequence should be restored. Happy New Year, sorry you will be losing Ubuntu, I think a great alternative to Windows.

User-324448 09:47 28 Dec 08

Thank you for your reply. having read through all the answers I know I have yet another learning curve, When I have sorted it all out I will install a clean Ubunto onto my spare computer so I have not lost it.I just dont like running Vista and Ubunto on the same system. Thanks again P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now