Tyring to build RAID 10 with 4 WD Raptors

flyingpeterpan 16:32 11 May 04

Hello, everyone out there, I've been trying to build RAID 10 with 4 WD Raptors 74gb on ABIT KV8 MAX3 1GB CRUCIAL DDR400 RAM AMD 64 3400+,after weeks' struggling,eventually I found out that the system only worked happily on RAID 0 either on 2 or 3 or even 4 drives but not RAID 1 OR RAID 10 on 2 or 4 of the drives,anyone had the same problem before?

TomJerry 16:36 11 May 04

?

flyingpeterpan 17:19 11 May 04

Thanks,
I have to use the onboard silicon image 3114r RAID Controller which controls sata 3-sata 6, interesting thing is it works well with other serial SATA Drives e.g. Seagate but not with WD Raptors though,can it be the MOBO?

dazzling 17:20 11 May 04

according to the bumf raid 10 requires a minimum of 4 drives and the controller you have suppourts 0,1 and 10 maybe you need a bios upgrade.you have got all the drives on the raid controller havent you?.darren

flyingpeterpan 17:27 11 May 04

Yes, I've got the computer set up and running on two of the raptors built on RAID 0 which is running fine. However, the RAID controller does say it can support RAID 10 option. Is there any difference between RAID 0+1 and RAID 10?

dazzling 17:37 11 May 04

not that im aware of it seems to be a combination of both according to the info two for stripping and two for mirroring.darren

flyingpeterpan 17:48 11 May 04

I've been talking to the WD people for over a week , they haven't got a clue , they told me to set up 2 different raid set i.e.raid 0+ raid 1 , loaded window on the raid 0 and then formatted the raid 1 drive from the window but when I rebooted the pc afterwards ,the raid configuration was dropped and was said to be incomplete on the POST screen.

dazzling 15:50 12 May 04

to be honest i cant see why you cant do it.its got nothing to do with the raptors has it?to be honest tried to set up mirroring on mine and it spat the dummy so i did never had much luck but the principle is simple enough sorry cant be anymore help.darren

cycoze 19:12 12 May 04

click here for a good explanation of RAID , the Flash animations are quick to load and give an easy to see/understand explanation .

IDE RAID support for your board states The Sil3114 supports up to 4 independent SATA drives as well as RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 configurations, which makes the board a perfect candidate for large storage systems such as small servers or workstations,2 Serial ATA-150 channels (VIA VT8237 controller with RAID support)
4 Serial ATA-150 channels (Silicon Image Sil3114 controller)

flyingpeterpan 21:23 12 May 04

Thanks for replying,been busy at work!
You both are right, the RAID principle is very simple and strightforword,but I think the MOBO is either very choosy or what? I can build RAID 0
on the WD Raptors but not RAID 1 but I can build both 0 or 1 on 2 ordinary serial SATA 150 such as Seagate's, if I built RAID 0 on 2 Raptors and RAID 1 on 2 seagate SATA 150 (hence 0+1),the RAID system will be dropped,even if it does boot,it will be running on RAID 0(RAPOR)but most of the time ,it won't boot.I ran DLG on all 4 Raptors ,it showed no error,incompability between RAPTORS and KV8 MAX3?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…