Typing problems with a laptop

capnsofa 10:04 13 Feb 06

I have recently obtained an Acer Aspire 1800 laptop and am very pleased with its overall performance.
However, whilst I am not a speedy typist, I do have problems with entering text as the keyboard does not always seem able to keep up with me and misses out the occasional letter.
This is particularly noticeable when there are 2 identical letters together.
I am told that this is often a problem with laptops but is there any way that I can improve matters?

jaytek 11:13 13 Feb 06

It is possible that the keyboard settings need to be adjusted.

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Keyboard

2. Click on the Speed tab and check the settings of the Character repeat.

3. Click on the Hardware tab and check that the keyboard device description is correct.

4. Click on Properties and then select the Driver tab and click on the Driver Details button. Check that the driver corresponds with the keyboard that you have.

5. If all of the above is OK then click on the Troubleshoot button and follow the onscreen questions.

If all of the above does not resolve the issue then I suggest that you contact Acer because you should not be experiencing this problem.

ade.h 13:40 13 Feb 06

Because notebook keyboards have to use slightly different key mechanisms - due to the space restriction - they tend not to respond very well to light touches. I still miss letters occasionally after years of using laptops because I tend to carry with me my desktop typing style and I have to consciously type a bit more positively. The shorter mechanisms are less progressive, more on/off.

Curio 17:59 13 Feb 06

Borrow a USB Keyboard and try that. If Happy purchase one for your use at home/in office - not on the move!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…