Typing in French

exdragon 17:10 29 Aug 03

Hi: is it possible to use the normal keyboard to type automatically in French? I've got the English and French options in the system tray so I can switch between them, but if I use the French option, I then need to spell check it using the appropriate dictionary.

This changes most of the words to the properly accented ones, but does ignore some which need accents. I've checked the various help options, but it's not worth buying a French keyboard. I've got Win 98SE and Word 2000.

Merci!

jakedawe 17:17 29 Aug 03

Might be wrong, but I don't see any way around using a French Keyboard.

xania 21:15 29 Aug 03

In Word go to <Tools><Options> snd select the <Spelling and Grammar> tab. You will see that your normal dictionary is Custom.dic, but you can now set up second dictionary French.dic and toggle between the two. You should also find tht, once you have set the dictionary for a prticular document, it will hold until changed for tht document, in which case you might want to set up a French.dot template as well.

exdragon 21:54 29 Aug 03

Thanks, Xania - as I mentioned, if I use the French keyboard to write a letter, then spell check it using the French dictionary, it will change, for example, tres to tres with the accent. What I'd like to do is type the tres and the accent appear automatically.

Maybe I'm trying to do the impossible.

I also need to remember to change the keyboard back to English, or I get some very odd sentences!

xania 17:35 30 Aug 03

In Word go to <Tools><Language> nad you can set the language to France AND not only spell check but grammar check as well.

Once again, set this up as a template and off you go!!

Pesala 20:51 30 Aug 03

I regularly type in Pali and other foreign languages using a standard UK English setup. You can type some accents with Ctrl Alt vowel or Alt Gr vowel: áéíóú for acute. To get the grave or acute accent, either you must use the French keyboard or setup a French Template with custom keystrokes of your choosing to type the grave and circumflex accents. You can customize the keyboard in Word from the insert symbol menu.

Another possible solution for common words would be to set up Autocorrect so that if you type tres it will be changed to très.

Let's hope the forum accepts the accents, otherwise this post won't make much sense.

pj123 21:53 30 Aug 03

mpdragon, don't want to hijack your thread but I regularly type lots of French, but I use the ASCII codes to change all the accents (all done one at a time and takes ages). If pesala is reading this can you give me more info on setting up a french template or setting up Autocorrect? thank you

exdragon 20:45 31 Aug 03

Thank you one and all as usual!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant