Two utter windows xp mysteries

Josquius 13:12 27 Jul 05

Sorry about the lack of explanation but I can't tell what has caused these. They are on two seperate computers...

1: For the past few days when I turn on the computer for the first time of the day it seems to all load normally except none of the icons on the desktop work. All that works is the bottom bar icons.
The start button presses but nothing can be reached from it and ctrl, alt + del also works but the computer cannot be restarted from here.

2: The internet has stopped working for no apparant reason. I am using nildram 512K with a ZyXEL ADSL modem and software.
It looks to connect with the dialler saying it is connected however I think the dialler says it is connected at 0 b/s. I know for certain the net connection doesn't work. It isn't a hardware issue- the modem is shared with another computer on which it works perfectly (shared via being moved, no network connections)

Does anyone have any leads of what these problems could even possibly be?

uisquebeathus 13:58 27 Jul 05

Can you do a system restore back a few days, is it also possible to do a system file check (start, run, enter sfc /scannow ) if you have the i386 files on athe windows cd it will check all files and replace any damaged.
there also could be damage to the registry if so it may have to be a backup your data and a reinstallation.

uisquebeathus 14:02 27 Jul 05

Try deleting this file then Windows will recreate it when you reboot.

C:\Windows\ShellIconCache

Josquius 17:43 28 Jul 05

System restore is a no. Both problems have been in existance a while and I believe system restore is turned off on them both.

What is the shell icon thing to fix? Internet problem?

Michendi 18:06 28 Jul 05

1. Login as an Administrator
2. Run sfc /scannow to check all protected system files for integrity
3. If you cannot access "Run..." from the Start Menu then run it from a Command Prompt window

What it does :-

If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable the sfc /scannow will repair the contents of the Dllcache directory.

4. Schedule a check disk of C: at the next Restart ( syntax at the Run dialog box or from a command prompt is:- chkdsk c:/f/r )
5. Restart

Let the forum know if this resolves the issue.

Jackcoms 18:36 28 Jul 05

Before you run sfc /scannow make sure that you have your original Windows installation CD handy.

If scannow cannot retrieve the correct file/s from the system it will need to retrieve them from the CD.

Josquius 19:14 28 Jul 05

I can't find 'C:\Windows\ShellIconCache' or 'sfc/scannow' anywhere

Jackcoms 19:28 28 Jul 05

You won't 'find' sfc /scannnow because it's a command to run NOT a Windows file. This is how to run it:

• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type SFC.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…