two users my documents folders won't share

eddiejackr 15:11 29 Nov 06

I have (finally) got my home network working for internet , file sharing and printer sharing - what joy! HOWEVER.... despite being corectly (Ithink) set up, I cannot get two folders to share - even though they are set up the same way as other folders that are successfully sharing. The two folders are the My Documents folders belonging to two different users on one pc. I am the administrator and have set up the folders for sharing and given them a share name, but on the other two network pcs i just get access is denied. I did wonder whether the users themselves should set up the sharing - but when i look they are not able as the options are greyed out and do NOT have the allow sharing box ticked. How do I overcome this last blip in my network?

fitshase 19:51 29 Nov 06

Try running the network wizard on each of those user accounts (I am assuming they have administrator privileges) as you need to allow file and printer sharing for each user (I think). Once that has been ran, the greyed out option to share the folder should become available.

eddiejackr 14:34 30 Nov 06

ok - i'll try that. They don't have administrator status though - will that make a difference?

eddiejackr 18:52 30 Nov 06

i changed them both to admin status and enabled sharing, then i changed them back to limited accounts. Sharing now works - so thanks very much for your help. I still don't understand quite why this has made a difference because on one of the other networked pcs with same op system i set it all up as administrator and didn't have to do it in each users area. Anyway problem sorted - thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video