Two-tone alarm at shutdown?

Vlad 13:15 28 Nov 03

Does anybody know why my sister-in-law's Toshiba satellite Pro A10, running XP Home, occasionally emits a loud two tone alarm sound on shut down. She tells me this happens whether running on the mains or battery. The only programs I have installed on it for her since purchase are Works Suite 2003, ZoneAlarm and Norton System Works. She tells me that shutdown and power-off complete satisfactorily after the alarm and the machine seems to work fine when you switch on again. I also understand that there is no accompanying screen message when the alarm sounds. If anyone has any ideas about what is causing this I would be grateful.

alcudia 14:16 28 Nov 03

Might be worth a look in Sounds in Control Panel and see what is set to play on Windows Shutdown.

The critical battery alarm is a double note.

alcudia 14:25 28 Nov 03

Sorry I missed the word "occasionally."

Probaly not a sound file then. Will carry on thinking.

Indigo 1 14:38 28 Nov 03

I know that some PC's have a two tone alarm for when the CPU fan cuts out. It could be that. Just as the power is cut all fans stop at the same time but there is still enough residual power in the motherbord to sound an alarm.
How long does the alarm sound for ?

wizkidwall_03 14:40 28 Nov 03

Not a good idea to give out your Email on a public forum. It has probably been harvested for spam by now.

Check in Control Panel, Power Management. There should be sliders for Low Battery Alarm and Critical Battery Alarm. Try them in different positions. Funny things, computers.

alcudia 15:31 28 Nov 03

I think that's probably it. I'd got the right sound but the wrong reason. [email protected]@m has hit on it.
Try going to sounds in Control Panel and play the file for Low Battery Alarm and see if it's the same as you are getting on shutdown.

Might indicat a problem with the battery if it still happens when using mains power.

Vlad 21:04 28 Nov 03

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I can't get to the machine until Monday but I'll check out all these suggestions and let you know the outcome.

wizkidwall_03, Camilla (my sister-in-law) tells me it has only ever happened at shutdown.

Vlad 18:56 03 Dec 03

Well, I have checked out all of your suggestions and it remains a mystery. None of the alarm sounds in the sound scheme are the same as the alarm Camilla heard and I haven't been able to reproduce it on shutdown. The machine appears to be operating satisfactorily still and I am going to give this one resolved status. Hopefully it was a one off.

Thanks again to you all for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…