Two probs - program uninstall and update downloads

tisch 21:34 12 Feb 07

Hi there, hoping someone clever out there can help me out with two small problams I'm having on my new laptop. I installed a game from disc for my daughter which she has now completed. I want to uninstall it to free up the space on my comp again. I've done the usual control panel - add/remove programs route. The game is listed in there with the usual change / remove button options. However, when I select remove nothing happens. Add/Remove screen still works fine for other progs installed. Any ideas? The game folder has an uninstall link on it too - when I click on it I get a missing shortcut message. Really want to just clean this off the system!

Second problem is I've uninstalled McAfee which came with the laptop and installed AVG (have always used it and trust/like it more than McAfee). I'm getting a yellow shield icon on the bottom right bar next to internet connected symbols etc with a black exclamation mark on it. When I hover on it it states "downloading updates 4%). When this is running the comp is very slow and I'm confused. Is this a windows update? (shouldn't be as I've deactivated the auto updates for windows) or is it some leftover relic of McAfee LiveUpdate?

Any help greatly appreciated - am stumped in both cases but very frustrated!

Thanks

skidzy 21:44 12 Feb 07

Try removing the game while in safemode,Tapping F8 on startup will get you into safemode.Or reload the game and maybe it will prompt you to modify/repair/uninstall.

When was the last time you updated from Microsoft ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…