Two probs? Attachments using IE and medctroc.inf

Mannanan 14:48 29 Jun 03

Recently I've been unable to add attachments to emails sent via a web-based email service such as Hotmail) although attachments work fine when sent via Hotmail using Outlook Express.

I've looked through the settings and security settings of IE but without success (although I don't understand ALL of the settings!)

So I thought I'd 'repair' or reinstall IE from the XP Pro cd-rom. Therefore, I went to XP Setup but get the following error message:
"unable to open information file medctroc.inf. error code 0x2 at line 2011777033".

Are these two problems related? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I am the Administrator: thus have full rights.

VoG II 15:07 29 Jun 03

click here and scroll down to "Unable to open the file medctroc.inf (Appeared when trying to Add/Remove a built-in Windows XP application)" - it's near the bottom of the page.

Mannanan 16:24 29 Jun 03

Thanks for input.

A search of my system finds only medctroc.log and medctrol.dll. Your link says:

"Managed to resolve this by assuming the file was corrupt and replacing c:\windows\inf\medctroc.inf with the copy found in C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386.

Therefore it seems I've completely lost the medctroc.inf file.

Any ideas, please?

Mannanan 17:07 01 Jul 03

An update!

I've copied medctroc.inf from the XP cd-rom, unzipped it, put it into c:\windows\inf and now I can get into XP Setup.

However .... I still can't add attachments to Hotmail when sending via the www using Internet Explorer. (It works fine when using Outlook Express).

The error message is "Page Cannot be displayed".

I've searched the www and can't find any help with this. Most queries are when it is not possible to RECEIVE attachments (mine are fine!), not send them.

I've even reinstalled Internet Explorer. No luck!

Any bright ideas please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…